X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just moved into SOLIVITA in POINCIAN, POLK COUNTY, Florida... Any Clans or Societies

Just moved down from Virginia, current member of the St. Andrews Society of Washington DC, Scottish American Military Organization (SAMS), Clan Donald, Mid Atlantic, and several other smaller groups. Would like to learn more about any groups, games, activities in the Orlando/Kissimmee/Lake City area. Thank you...
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a St Andrews Society of Central Florida.

Website: http://www.standrewscfl.com/?fbclid=...HIppeCLojy90F0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Welcome to Florida!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you.
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little northeast of you The St. Andrew’s Society in Jacksonville is quite active. Also keep the last Saturday in February free for the Northeast Florida Scottish Games & Festival in Green Cove Springs.
    'A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. "

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Jacksonville is about 2 hour drive from Poinciana, but worth knowing about....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Colin,

We've just started thinking about relocating to Florida and Solivita was one of the places we were thinking of looking. Do you like it there?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, Florida doesn't have as many events as Virginia, and there is nothing else quite like Alexandria's Scottish Walk. However, here are some leads:

As I recall, there is a fairly active group called New World Celts that held events in Orlando pretty much every month.
    http://www.newworldceltsinc.org/orlando--fl.html

Orlando (Jan 18-19) and Dunedin (April?) both host Highland Games. You should be able to find Clan tents at these events.
    http://www.flascot.com/
    https://dunedinhighlandgames.com/

There is a number of Irish pubs offering traditional music in the area as well, offering another chance to wear your kilt and meet like-minded folks.

I remember a big outdoor Irish music festival one year, but I can't find any info on it now, so it may not be held any more.

i'm sure the New World Celts members can give you more ideas.

And welcome to Florida! It's a beautiful, warm, sunny place. I am from Clermont, just north of you in Lake County, although I spend most of my time in China these days.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Dunedin Highland games are in April, and there is a Celtic music festival in November

http://www.dunedincelticmusicfestival.com/

Dunedin is on the other side if the state.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coinneach View Post
    Hi Colin,

We've just started thinking about relocating to Florida and Solivita was one of the places we were thinking of looking. Do you like it there?
    For the past several years before we bought here in Solivita we travelled all over the 55+ GATED communities in Florida and couple in South Carolina. HANDS DOWN Solivita was the best. We hated the Villages, just was not us. We like it much more quiet, open green space, and Solivita fit our bill. TOO many people, congestion, and noise in the Villages. Besides the houses were cookie cutter, and expensive. Here in Solivita they have just as many activities if you chose lower monthly HOA fee than the Villages. The downside of Solivita is the location in the country, it's about 40 minutes for the big stores in Kissimmee called the LOOP, or few minutes longer for the Millennium Mall and Costco in Orland, but we lived in the Blueridge Mountains in Western Loudon County in Virginia, and traveling distances for shopping we are use too. We do have a "Village downtown", but it has a Grill (Bar/restaurant}, Mosiac (small restaurant) and a small Bistro (sandwiches and pizza), and a small drug store. Poinciana has many fast food, supermarkets, a large Walmart, drug stores, Lowes, etc, and its about 5 minutes outside the gate, but you do get traffic. For me, they have a Dunken Donuts, so I am happy, oh and a WAWA....nice one. After all this is a retirement community, so taking time to drive to Kissimmee or Orlando during day is a nice day out. The development has a lot of traffic circles 13 pools, indoor pool, and full HUGE gym, of course 2 Gold Courses. YOU GET ALOT FOR YOUR FEES. including they cut your grass, spray and trim bushes, and every house has irrigation system for watering that is included in your HOA fees. You do have rules for the Architectural review board, but no worse than what I had in other places. Place is keep impeccable and very CLEAN. A lot of water, palm trees, and tropical flowers.

OK, so WE BOTH LOVE IT...we feel we made the right decision for us, and enjoy everyday of our new life..... You can arrange a weekend. and if you would please tell them that I referred you, helps us along too..... PLEASE come down and enjoy a exploring weekend, and ask for COLLIN and MEG MacDonald to be you sponsors, we would love to help you out, and HONESTLY answer all your question or address your concerns. I only tell the truth and really have no dog in the fight....KEEP IN TOUCH.
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 11th September 19 at 10:30 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast