X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argyle Jacket Sleeve Length

So, I have been looking for a kilt jacket to wear with my maple leaf kilt and stopped in at the 'local' (it is an hour away) kilt shop and tried on several different Argyle type jackets . I would normally be a 40L to 42. I tried up to a 46L and the sleeves were all short. Very short. I then went to their other location across town and tried on several House of Edgar jackets. The 42L and 44 fit quite well, including the sleeve length. And the peat colour was absolutely fantastic. I assume the first jackets were Gaelic Themes and in fact I believe one had a Gaelic Themes tag if I recall correctly. Neither store had any ex-hire that suited.

Does this mean I am most likely going to be out of luck in the aftermarket since the Gaelic Theme produced jackets are so ubiquitous ?

Good news is that the second store had one pair left of the Lewis hose, in Bison, in my size . That in addition to their first stores selection of Lee's tablet, rowntree black currant, Borders dark chocolate ginger biscuits and of course a couple cans of the Irn Bru kind of saved the day but I am still without a jacket and waistcoat

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm usually a 42L in jackets and have had great luck in finding kilt jackets on the used market. When looking at used, I make sure I get measurements for armpit to armpit, sleeve length, shoulder seam to shoulder seam and back length.

I currently have kilt jackets labeled as 40R, 42L, 42R and 44R. They all fit similarly (although the 42R is the smallest in chest/waist) and all show just a bit of shirt cuff.

Good luck,

Shane

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity, bodhran4me, where do you prefer the cuff to fall when your arms are down by your sides? Wrist? Thumb joint? First knuckle?

I can't comment on Gaelic Themes jackets, but I'm wondering if their jackets are tailored more for a UK-style length near the wrist instead of what most people on this side of the pond are told is correct (which is much longer)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my arms may be proportionally longer than 'normal' because my shirt sleeves always seem to be to short unless I bump up an 'X' or two in the XL department. I guess I was just surprised at how short the sleeves on the long sized jackets were as they were several inches above the wrist. Even given the fact that some dictate showing a bit of shirt cuff, these would have had the whole cuff sticking out.

To answer to Tobus, I prefer a longer sleeve jacket because I generally wear my shirt cuffs rolled up, so there is no cuff to show. I haven't bought a new suit or jacket in a while but I had never had one that was so short, especially when labeled as a long. The odd one needed the cuff turned down a bit. Picking one of my jackets to measure the sleeve shoulder to cuff is 25.5" which I find to still be a wee bit short as it just covers my wrists . It is acceptable, but just. The long jackets I tried on were probably still at the very least 2.5" shorter. They didn't just show wrist they showed a lot of forearm. I was even double checking sewn labels in case they had been tagged as long instead of regular or even short. I guess what really surprised me was how the 42L and even 44R in the HoE jackets fit so much better.