X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

Right now on Ebay there's one of these modern MOD OR's 14" horsehair sporrans, set up for the QOH.

These were introduced around 1967 for Other Ranks and replaced the 1953 Coronation Dress "Culloden" sporrans (with the opening brass 18th century style tops and white leather bodies). From 1953 to 1967 there were no horsehair sporrans except for Officer's Levee Dress AFAIK.

Anyhow a 1967-1994 OR's sporran of the Queens Own Highlanders

The inside usually seen on these, with the grommeted holes for the various tassel arrangements needed for BW, QOH, and A&SH. (For the Argylls three pairs of tassels were fastened to three holes. On the traditional A&SH sporrans each of the six tassels was independent and had its own hole.)

Note that the sporran strap loops are on the inside of the front panel, a strange arrangement which is very inconvenient to wear (it's hard to open the sporran and get anything out of it).

Last edited by OC Richard; 5th July 19 at 06:51 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first thought on the front panel loops is should the wearer forget to secure the closure, the sporran would still hang correctly. It would also keep the top closed by the physics of back pressed between front and body.
    It just seems a shame that such a large and ample pocket should be so difficult to access. Maybe compensating for actually having such a generous pocket?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My modern goathair sporran came with a wide belt loop on the back side of the front panel

And I tried wearing it that way a few times. It was hard to get at the stuff in the sporran.

So I took it to a shoe repair place and they sewed on a couple leather belt loops, a bit crude but it does the job. I've worn this sporran regularly for several years and these loops have held up well. Now the sporran functions like normal sporrans should.

Last edited by OC Richard; 7th July 19 at 06:16 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    My modern goathair sporran came with a wide belt loop on the back side of the front panel

And I tried wearing it that way a few times. It was hard to get at the stuff in the sporran.
    I have one like that, and I agree. I put a leather loop on the back, but now I have trouble keeping it closed.

Ah well Richard, do what I do - wear it the way it's designed (it hangs better) and we'll have to be prepared to suck in our guts to put stuff in or get it out.

By the way, I really appreciate the clearly knowledgeable tutorial. Thanks, Richard!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has an ordinary snap closure as you can see in the photos I added. So there's no issue with it staying closed.

I think the army wanted them to stay neat and close to the body while on parade, that's my theory anyhow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has that snap too - it just doesn't stay closed very well.

Ah well!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12