X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nice outfit appropriate for the event. Good for you for setting an example.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Graduation as a formal occasion

Quote Originally Posted by gsmacleod View Post
    Completely agree; it always blows my mind when people arrive to graduation in jeans, t-shirts or golf shirts.

Shane
    I agree, I have been a college professor for just short of 30 years. The way people dress for the occasion AND act has been going downhill for some time. Some family scream, yell and carry-on so, the families of the next few graduates can’t even hear the names of the graduates being honored. We had a college President a few years ago who asked that the family members hold off on the loud commotion until everyone had been honored crossing the stage, then they were given several minutes to shout and hoot to their hearts content. It was a good compromise. I really don’t want to sound like an old fuddy duddy but I have had so many family members approach me after the graduation ceremony, broken hearted because they could hear the name of their graduate.

Oh and by the way, I think you look great!
    Last edited by Eonicholson; 1st July 19 at 02:18 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Eonicholson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Completely agree; it always blows my mind when people arrive to graduation in jeans, t-shirts or golf shirts.

Shane
    Seeing a similar trend here in the UK, and not just for such ceremonies. It might be the military in me, but (IMO only) a lack of appreciation for what is 'right' astounds me. More so, when it is for an occasion (such as you attended here) that will likely be never repeated for most in attendance; they made the effort, shouldn't you if you are supporting them. As an aside, I regularly turn up for events ''correctly dressed'' (to my mind) only to find myself commented on as being overdressed. As my father always said, '...you can never be overdressed..' (some caveats apply I'm certain!). Again, let's not forget ZZ Top pointed out one big benefit....'...every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man!

Rant Over - and with apologies to Shane for hijacking the thread somewhat.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    Seeing a similar trend here in the UK, and not just for such ceremonies. It might be the military in me, but (IMO only) a lack of appreciation for what is 'right' astounds me. More so, when it is for an occasion (such as you attended here) that will likely be never repeated for most in attendance; they made the effort, shouldn't you if you are supporting them. As an aside, I regularly turn up for events ''correctly dressed'' (to my mind) only to find myself commented on as being overdressed. As my father always said, '...you can never be overdressed..' (some caveats apply I'm certain!). Again, let's not forget ZZ Top pointed out one big benefit....'...every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man!
    I also have a military background and believe in being appropriately dressed for every occasion. Of course, this is far easier when you have dress regs and the order of dress is specified for each occasion!

I am often the most dressed up person wherever I go; for teaching I usually wear dress pants (trousers), long sleeved shirt with tie and sport jacket. For a wedding last year, I skipped the kilt as I had no idea what the bridal party would think, but instead wore a suit. I was the exception as most were open collar with a few ties sprinkled around (all short sleeves). At a funeral I went to this year, I again wore a suit but was the exception in the crowd.

Rant Over - and with apologies to Shane for hijacking the thread somewhat.
    No worries; seems perfectly in line with the topic at hand.

Shane
    Last edited by gsmacleod; 3rd July 19 at 02:07 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a military background and believe in being appropriately dressed for every occasion. Of course, this is far easier when you have dress regs and the order of dress is specified for each occasion!

I am often the most dressed up person wherever I go; for teaching I usually wear dress pants (trousers), long sleeved shirt with tie and sport jacket. For a wedding last year, I skipped the kilt as I had no idea what the bridal party would think, but instead wore a suit. I was the exception as most were open collar with a few ties sprinkled around (all short sleeves). At a funeral I went to this year, I again wore a suit but was the exception in the crowd.

No worries; seems perfectly in line with the topic at hand.

Shane
    Good outfit Shane.

I hear you on the dress and deportment. I was at a funeral a couple of years ago, and some people thought I worked at the funeral home. Sad really, the current state of what people think is acceptable during certain occasions.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some 20-25 years ago, I was lamenting to a colleague my perception that there is no elegance in the modern world. A few days later, as a joke, she presented me with a book she had found in a used book shop and which she said she knew I would appreciate. The book, which I still have, was Complete Etiquette for Ladies and Gentlemen published in 1900 and bearing the subtitle "A Guide to the Rules and Observances of Good Society". It is, of course, very much out of date, but it shows that people did used to care about these things. As a piper, I often play at memorials and "celebrations of life" and am appalled by the number of people who attend such things in jeans and t-shirts, often with a greasy ball cap to top off their outfit. The women, of course, dress a little better--they dispense with the ball cap. Often, I'm the only one present wearing a dress shirt and a tie. Nowadays, the simple fact is that most men don't even own a suit, sports jacket or blazer, unless they are required to wear these at work. Indeed, most men don't own a simple tie. Traditional highland dress is one of the last bastions of sartorial elegance in our world, and even that is under siege--but that is a rant for another day.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imrichmond For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wore my kilt to my own university graduation in 1998. Have never owned a suit and didn't have a suitable kilt jacket back then (and being summer in Brisbane) I just wore shirt and tie. I received nothing but positive comments (and the obligatory jokes about what's worn underneath) and a couple of the academic staff told me they owned kilts, wished they'd worn them, and either didn't consider it or chickened out.

The Q is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My graduation ceremony was in Ely Cathederal, so it was nice and peaceful and everyone could hear what was going on. Since we were all wearing gowns, it was actually not that easy to see what people were wearing in the subdued lighting.

I've always had a suit, since, I could first afford one when I started work. Sadly these days, it's black, as that reason for wearing it is obvious.
    For more joyous occasions it's always the kilt, and I've just been invited to a wedding (2nd marriage) where the bride has specifically asked me to wear a kilt. She was unable to persude her adult sons to wear the kilt.
    She's Welsh of part Scottish heritage getting married in England, to an English man with a American passport and after the wedding they are moving to France...

It is noticable the reduction in standards, at the company or sailing club dinners in hotels, they are listed as smartly dressed, while 99% of the females are in their finery, some of the males think jeans and a clean shirt will do..
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12