X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dawgbyte

[QUOTE=Tomo;1376188]OK - so this is from a throughly scurrilous rag, but if you are in the market for a kilt do you think this is more montsa!! or a monstrosity:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/fab...tartan-design/

It's a bit too pastel "pretty" for my taste; plus, I'm not seeing anything to do with the beastie it represents (unless it's Puff the Magic Dragon).

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to dawgbyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte View Post
    It's a bit too pastel "pretty" for my taste...
    We just have to keep in mind that with tartans "green" in the thread-count just means green; the sort of green used is at the discretion of the weaver. Ditto "blue" and all other colours.

So this tartan can appear with the pastel blues and greens seen in that image. Or, at the weaver's discretion, the green could be changed to a deep forest green and the blue to a dark Navy blue and it's still the same tartan.

I gave examples of this tartan rendered with various shades of blue and green- they are all the identical tartan (the same image, in fact) with the colours shifted darker and/or duller.

Sorry I don't know if I'm putting this into words clearly.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understood it. It needed saying and needs to be said often.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has been a thing happening with tartan designers recently where that traditional practice hasn't been followed.

The first time I remember encountering it was with the tartan Flower Of Scotland.

It's basically Gunn in Ancient Colours with one narrow stripe moved. But AFAIK the Ancient colouring (pastel) was specified and required of the Flower Of Scotland tartan- in other words there could be no "Flower Of Scotland Modern".

The same thing happened with the California tartan. It's Muir in Ancient Colours with minor changes. AFAIK California has to be in Ancient colours.

Then there's Isle Of Skye! A lovely tartan. Genius, in my opinion. It has three different greens. Change any or all of those greens and the tartan doesn't work as it's designed to.

Tartans required specific shades of a colour is becoming more common especially with many of the American tartans and corporate tartans. IrnBru requires those specific shades of orange and blue. Ten different US Universities might wear red, each University's precise colour of red considered crucial and is maintained on all uniforms, apparel, insignia, signage, etc. Tartans designed for these Universities would be required to be each one's exact shade of red.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12