X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well folks, it's official

Last evening, my wife Bobbie and I, met with the owners of "Knotty By Nature" a local fiber artists shop, and we signed the contract for the sale of the building which has been headquarters for Freedom Kilts for the last 12 years.

I can now announce the next step in the transition of Freedom Kilts. What began with a TV program back in January of 2004 and led to the purchase of a single sewing machine has endured through four retail locations, and growth which can only be described as mind boggling. I never honestly believed that the spark of an idea, of what what I would began to call the Contemporary Kilt, would eventually lead to where we are today.

On Saturday, the 30th of November 2019, the retail shop and storefront of Freedom Kilts will close.

We will continue to sell off our current retail stock and inventory. The remaining rental fleet will be sold as ex-hire as our rental reservations trickle back to the shop. Our employees will get to keep the sewing machines, tools, irons and layout tables that they have worked on through the years and they all have found suitable income to continue their lives.

We have set Saturday, the 28th of September as the last date for ordering a custom made kilt due to the time it takes for fabric to arrive from the UK. This will allow us to finish the current orders and ensure that all our customers receive their kilts.

We have set Saturday, the 2nd of November as the day that we will close the doors of the retail shop to give us time to clean and prepare the building for the new owners.

We turn over the keys to the building on Friday, the 29th of November 2019.

As anyone who has been a sole proprietor of a small business can attest, your time is never your own. Vacations, when you can squeeze them in, become business trips to meet suppliers. Weekends are spent keeping up on building maintenance.

But to tell the truth I will be 69 years old in January. The old bones don't work quite as well as they did when I was 20. I would like to travel and perhaps re-visit some of those places I have lived or was stationed in the Military. And there are still a lot of places I have not seen yet.
    I will of course continue to make kilts and be a part of the kilt community. I will be able to concentrate on those contracts that I currently have and continue to offer individual, fully custom, Contemporary Style Kilts.
    But I can now make kilts without the worry of keeping all the ties, clan crests, and sporrans in inventory. The bills, insurance, taxes and upkeep associated with a retail shop are no longer a worry.

X Marks will continue. I have tried over all these years to keep X Marks separate from Freedom Kilts. I think most will agree, despite the predictions of some that X Marks would become an advertising venue for Freedom Kilts, that I have not allowed that to happen.
    X Marks is still the world’s oldest, continuous, largest and most active on-line community dedicated to the kilt. That will not change. What we have all built together is far too important.
    I feel honored to have met many of you. Who would have guessed that a little internet forum would be able to bring so many together over a kilt?

Over the past 15 years a lot of other projects and ideas have been shelved to keep the retail shop running. I really enjoy cranking custom kilt hose on my circular sock machine and I have gained a bit of a name for myself in the sock machine world. I would like to do a series of teaching videos on these fascinating machines and go into production of the yarn winding machine I developed. And, of course, continue to make custom kilt hose in colors, patterns and styles not available anywhere else.

If we can find a new venue, Kilt Kamp will continue on those alternate west coast years. If we cannot find a venue for large classes, we will transition to smaller classes or one-on-one mentoring. I have been offering what I call “Mini Kilt Kamps” for one and two people at a time for a while now, and those will continue.

I have been trying for quite a few years to get my kilt making book "The Hand-Crafted Contemporary Kilt" published and printed. I have been anguishing and fussing over the wording and how to best describe the process in a clear, easily understandable, and repeatable manner. I honestly believe that the changes we have seen in the kilt world, which drove to the development of the Contemporary kilt, deserve to have an explanation of how to construct a great looking, long lasting, and practicable Contemporary Kilt. I also honestly believe that I owe it to the next generation of kiltmakers to pass on what I have learned.

As Bobbie and I work through this transition and perhaps to begin to learn to enjoy our lives, I would like to thank every one of our customers from the last 15 years for their business and loyalty.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 4th July 19 at 01:39 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.