Well fellas, yesterday I took delivery of my first kilt.

Tartan from Lochcarron, kilt assembled in Edinburgh to my specific measurements. The kilt has met my every expectation and seems more substantial than what is deemed by the maker as a 'casual kilt'. I love the hues of the tartan and the sett size is perfect.

My wife took my measurements and she estimated my waist (above the navel) at 38 inches. When I submitted my measurements to the maker I entered 37.5" for my waist.
When I tried my kilt on yesterday, I sinched it up to the last hole of each strap (tightest fit) and, while the garment stays on me, I can easily sweep my thumbs between my kilt and my belly. I fear that if I had submitted a 38" measurement, the kilt wouldn't stay on me.

So, I would feel a little more confident walking around in my kilt knowing that it was going to stay where I put it. Do I just get a belt and be done with it? Is there a trick to making a kilt just a touch tighter? Would it be worth finding a local tailor to make a permanent adjustment(considering I could lose more weight)?

What say you?