X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anubis72 View Post
    Very helpful information everyone. I will return the brooch and some of the other items. Summarizing from your feedback I'm likely going with the following: economy kilt in my tartan if it will arrive in time, lose the ghillie, lose the brooch, kilt hose +/- flashes, simple boots or shoes, shirt with embroidered clan logo, lose the scarf, grandpa's glengarry for display only, and a simple leather belt. Anyone have a promo code for Stillwater kilts? They have an all wool kilt for good price. I prefer natural fabric only.
    Well done laddie.

Still work to be done, but now you are heading in the right direction. So steady as you go.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you throwing in the games? I would say you can't go wrong with Stillwater kilts especially if you need a kilt in a hurry Jerry ships like lightning! My favorite for throwing in hot weather is the USA kilts casual kilt. The poly viscose keeps you cool looks good and holds up really well to the games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stillwater Kilts

No I'm not involved in the sporting events, but I will be hosting a clan tent. Thanks for the advice though. I think Black Watch is the closest to Murray tartan.
    Robert Murray

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Black Watch is the closest to Murray tartan.
    Yes, Murray has the Black Watch basis including the "double track" motif, with the addition of red lines.

Especially since you're going to be at the Clan Murray booth I would think that the number one priority item would be a kilt in Murray tartan. You'll be hanging around with the various Clan people, and they know their tartans!

For anyone who knows tartan, a Black Watch kilt will be perceived as a Black Watch kilt, or a Clan Campbell kilt, because Clan Campbell has long used the Black Watch tartan as one of their own.

Personally I would put off all other Highland Dress expenditures until I got my nice wool Clan tartan kilt, if I were representing my Clan at Highland Games.

Just for reference, here are Murrays at the Murray tent at a US Highland Games, showing the sorts of dress one typically sees here.

Note the golf shirts embroidered with logos, and the military-style shirt. It looks like the pirate/Jacobite shirt is also embroidered.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 18th July 19 at 05:53 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for a Black Watch kilt, (inexpensive), try one of the Forum Partners......Celtic Croft. A week back (+/-), I received an e-mail about them offing their Rental Kilt fleet. Black Watch, wool/poly blend, & $60/ea.

https://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/shop/c...-rental-kilts/
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black watch kilt

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Yes, Murray has the Black Watch basis including the "double track" motif, with the addition of red lines.

Especially since you're going to be at the Clan Murray booth I would think that the number one priority item would be a kilt in Murray tartan. You'll be hanging around with the various Clan people, and they know their tartans!

For anyone who knows tartan, a Black Watch kilt will be perceived as a Black Watch kilt, or a Clan Campbell kilt, because Clan Campbell has long used the Black Watch tartan as one of their own.

Personally I would put off all other Highland Dress expenditures until I got my nice wool Clan tartan kilt, if I were representing my Clan at Highland Games.

Just for reference, here are Murrays at the Murray tent at a US Highland Games, showing the sorts of dress one typically sees here.

Note the golf shirts embroidered with logos, and the military-style shirt. It looks like the pirate/Jacobite shirt is also embroidered.
    Well I don't want to be mistaken for a Campbell, that's for sure. Murrays and Campbells are old rivals. Wonder why they can claim it as their own.
    Robert Murray

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I don't want to be mistaken for a Campbell, that's for sure. Murrays and Campbells are old rivals. Wonder why they can claim it as their own.
    Because the Black Watch was originally more or less a Campbell regiment.

The BW began as six Independent Companies, and Barnes says

"The three larger Companies were commanded by Lord Lovat, Sir Duncan Campbell of Lochnell, and Colonel Grant of Ballindalloch, while the three smaller ones were commanded by Colonel Alexander Campbell of Finab, John Campbell of Carrick, and George Munro of Culcairn…

In 1739 these Companies, with four new ones added, were amalgamated into a Regiment, the first Highland one..."

Which we know at The Black Watch.

About the origin of the Black Watch tartan, DC Stewart says

"All the accounts of the inception of the Black Watch tartan speak of it as a design new at the time when the regiment was formed...there remains the possibility that it was a abstraction from patterns already in use...there are several actual fragments, of great age, in which the characteristic feature of Black Watch is to be seen...whatever the sources of these fragments they seem to rule out the idea that Black Watch was entirely original, and at the same time rule out the necessity for supposing that such tartans as the Athol Murray derive from Black Watch."
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always splatter a little red paint on it and claim it was a trophy from a cattle raid. ;)

Just kidding.

I know you wanted natural fabric but the Marton mills polyviscose fabric usakilts uses in their cheaper kilts is good quality and made in Scotland.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming you have Farcebook ....

If your clan association has an online presence such as on FB where such postings are allowed you could try a 'Wanted to Buy' post.

There are also these two groups:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1664...?ref=bookmarks
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1298205340192729/

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to bodhran4me For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread closed at OP request.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner