X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Highland Games outfit advice

This year I will be representing my clan at the Highland Games. I have run out of money to spend on a full size wool kilt in my tartan. I have the following items: a ghillie shirt (and yes I have read the negative threads on this), a pin stripe utility kilt, a scarf in my tartan, a plaid brooch, kilt hose and flashes, various pins with my crest/badge, black brogue boots, a glengarry hat in my tartan, a kilt belt and buckle on its way. I can post photos once everything is here, since some are being shipped. I was thinking of using the plaid brooch with the scarf as a fly plaid, since other than the hat I would not be wearing any other family tartan item. I have ordered flashes in my tartan from Lochcarron but they will not be here in time for the games.
    Last edited by anubis72; 7th July 19 at 01:17 PM.
    Robert Murray

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Robert, what a shame that you have not read more threads on kilt attire. I have to be perfectly honest here, I would cancel your orders and save up for more conservative attire so that you will at least blend in with the more traditional kilt attire. Of course you can wear what you like , it’s your money and your choice, but if you want to blend in, even a wee tad, then you are sadly heading in the wrong direction, which is a shame in all sorts of ways , not least, the expense and perhaps embarrassment of making unwise choices.

Alright it’s one mans advice which is worth what you think it’s worth. However, I am really sorry to be the one to put a dampener on your enthusiasm, but it’s better to find out now rather than later. Sorry.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you would like me to explain where you might improve on you choices and my reasons for saying so, I will. I am happy to give my reasons by PM rather than in a public place on this website if you wish. All you have to do is ask for a reply here, or by PM if you would rather.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the US West Coast is the home of the utility kilt, go for it, but it has nothing to do with your clan. The ghillie shirt is not a bad match for your kilt although I would go with a polo shirt. Tartan glengarry hats aren’t traditional but might fit in with the rest and show off something of your clan. You could add the clan pin to it. I would stick to a plain belt rather than a kilt belt. Kilt hose with no flashes and casual boots or even sandals rather than brogues. You could display the other pins, broaches etc on the scarf on a table and talk about them. As you don’t have the key item, the tartan kilt.
    Just my thoughts.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you asked...

Well you did ask for advice so here goes. Firstly, I would take a look at the thread below & spend some time with it. Concentrate on the first 5 looks or so.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-attire-46888/

After that I would see if I could find my clan tartan at a more reasonable price point, some like Stewart, Gunn, & MacDonald are very easily obtained at a fraction of what you might think. Look at Stillwater kilts or Heritage of Scotland for these.

https://store.stillwaterkilts.com

https://www.heritageofscotland.com

I would strongly advise you not to wear the scarf or tartan tam or the Ghillie shirt. Just wear a polo shirt or if you can get one a Clan T-Shirt, something along those lines. Boots and Kilt hose should be fine but you need not worry about flashes especially for a casual event.

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some clan associations offer clan polos, which might be helpful at a reasonable cost.

Holcombe

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Holcombe Thomas For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm reluctant to comment on this, but if you don't mind.

Let me begin by saying we all have to start somewhere; and you have chosen a non-traditional starting place. That is fine, but it does make a challenge when you then want to "turn the corner", as it were, and do something as traditional as represent your clan at a highland gathering.

For many of us, the starting point was our clan kilt. Armed with a tartan kilt, you can then wear a pair of smart shoes, a golf shirt (informal) or shirt and tie (more formal) and you are good to go. Have you tried to find a tartan kilt on e-bay? Sometimes you can luck out and find them at a reasonable price. No one has yet to suggest USAKilts casual kilt. For about $100 you can get a reasonable presentable P/V kilt in Murray of Atholl tartan. Many speak highly of their products.

Best of luck, and enjoy the games.

12. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes here on the West Coast, Utilikilts (usually actual Utilikilts rather than knock-offs) have become common wear at our Highland Games, even by members of the various Clan and family associations who have their own name tartan.

Golf shirts and semi-military style shirts (with two flapped patch pockets to front, and oftentimes epaulettes) which have been embroidered with the Clan Crest have become standard wear amongst people running the various Clan booths/tents. Also t-shirts printed with the Clan Crest are popular.

https://www.thetreemaker.com/embroid...hirt-polo.html

Shoes can be anything comfortable for the long day minding the booth.

I'm not saying that this is "traditional Highland Dress" but rather that this sort of dress is common.

Wearing a tartan sash is pretty much only done by women. A man wearing a tartan sash with brooch would look Brigadoon-ish to most of the "Scottish community" here.

If I were you I would, at this point, wear a Utilikilt and shirt with Clan crest (helpful because you're not wearing a tartan kilt). Your shoes and hat would be anything comfortable for the warm day at the Highland Games. Mind the sun! Wide-brimmed hats are common at our sunny West Coast Highland Games.

I would then save up money for a kilt, an actual real kilt, in your Clan tartan. IMHO it's the most attractive and fitting way to appear at Highland Games representing your Clan.

Here's a typical Clan Booth group at a US Highland Games. Note the embroidered shirts, t-shirts, pirate shirts, Balmorals, baseball caps, a Glengarry, a tartan flat cap etc however they're sporting their Clan tartan kilts

The sash and brooch you mention will never be useful, and there are far more practical hats than a Glengarry, for the sun.

BTW Glengarries are nearly always a plain colour, especially an extremely dark blue (often mistaken for black). A tartan Glengarry would look Brigadoon-ish to most experienced kilt wearers. If you really want a Highland hat, a Balmoral bonnet in Navy blue, Lovat blue, Lovat green, fawn, etc would be more appropriate to modern civilian traditional Highland Dress.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 7th July 19 at 08:11 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plaid preacher View Post
    I'm reluctant to comment on this, but if you don't mind.

Let me begin by saying we all have to start somewhere; and you have chosen a non-traditional starting place. That is fine, but it does make a challenge when you then want to "turn the corner", as it were, and do something as traditional as represent your clan at a highland gathering.

For many of us, the starting point was our clan kilt. Armed with a tartan kilt, you can then wear a pair of smart shoes, a golf shirt (informal) or shirt and tie (more formal) and you are good to go. Have you tried to find a tartan kilt on e-bay? Sometimes you can luck out and find them at a reasonable price. No one has yet to suggest USAKilts casual kilt. For about $100 you can get a reasonable presentable P/V kilt in Murray of Atholl tartan. Many speak highly of their products.

Best of luck, and enjoy the games.
    I think this is a good recommendation for a budget kilt. I have semi traditional kilt which is the next level above the USAK casual kilt (constructed a little differently but same material) and it is of good quality. USAK makes every kilt they sell and they do good work.

If I were to want a cheaper kilt that would be my choice.

If you choose not to go that route then OC Richard gives good advice.

Also, one of the nice things about traditional kilt dress is that there is actually only a small number of kilt specific items of clothing; the kilt, the hose, and the sporran. Shoes, shirts, pullovers, etc can mostly be borrowed from your other outfits.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for your honest feedback!

Very helpful information everyone. I will return the brooch and some of the other items. Summarizing from your feedback I'm likely going with the following: economy kilt in my tartan if it will arrive in time, lose the ghillie, lose the brooch, kilt hose +/- flashes, simple boots or shoes, shirt with embroidered clan logo, lose the scarf, grandpa's glengarry for display only, and a simple leather belt. Anyone have a promo code for Stillwater kilts? They have an all wool kilt for good price. I prefer natural fabric only.
    Robert Murray

18. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to anubis72 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast