X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Kilt Cheater Pleats

I am looking for a great kilt to wear to Highland games, and I came across the idea of cheater pleats from the Celtic Croft? Does anyone have any experience with these? I don't live close enough to visit the store so I was hoping someone could post some pictures of what is actually going on on the inside. I don't intend to use it as a sleeping bag so I was thinking it might be a good idea, but I'd like to see what's going on before I spring for the extra expense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one with the cheater pleats and like it, much easier to put on and off. I had both knees replaced so getting up and down from the floor or the ground is more of a chore nowadays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think you could post some pictures of the inside? I've seen photos of the outside, and they didn't look sewn, but I'd like to see what's inside. (What does the band look like? Does it have a protective layer? Can you attach a belt on the inside at all?) I read somewhere you could add an inner belt to help keep things snug. I have an idea of what I think is there, but the more I think about it, the more questions I have.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand the cheater pleats are just loops sewn into the inside with a drawstring through the loops. You cinch up the drawstring and tie it around the waist. Then a belt goes on over on the outside of the waist holding everything in place.

But perhaps as Celtic Croft is one of our advertisers, it would be best to contact them and ask.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting. I had envisioned something a little different than that. I have called them already, but they didn't seem to have any pictures they could send. That's why I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone just owned one and could share.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suspect that their cheater pleats are exclusive to them, so they would rather someone did not copy how they are done.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe they've trademarked "cheater pleats" so I'm sure that may be part of it, but then again, if someone were to try copying it, they could just buy one and do it. That's why I didn't think it would be a problem, but maybe you're right. Perhaps I'll just try my hand at pleating one on my own and call it good. Thank you for your input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steglitz View Post
    I believe they've trademarked "cheater pleats" so I'm sure that may be part of it, but then again, if someone were to try copying it, they could just buy one and do it. That's why I didn't think it would be a problem, but maybe you're right. Perhaps I'll just try my hand at pleating one on my own and call it good. Thank you for your input.
    I would call them back and ask them to use a smartphone and take a picture of what it looks like and email or text message it to you.
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steglitz View Post
    Do you think you could post some pictures of the inside? I've seen photos of the outside, and they didn't look sewn, but I'd like to see what's inside. (What does the band look like? Does it have a protective layer? Can you attach a belt on the inside at all?) I read somewhere you could add an inner belt to help keep things snug. I have an idea of what I think is there, but the more I think about it, the more questions I have.
    I need to learn how to post pictures sometime mine are always too large. The band inside is only as wide as the pleats. There is nothing inside to attach a belt to. You would still need belt or whatever you choose to use on the outside to hold it together and up as far as I know. I am short and need a 21" length the Kilt was 24" and it was easier to shorten the bottom of the kilt than to lower the sewn in pleats. Celtic Croft did a great job in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for kicks, I thought I'd try and upload a picture, and you're right, it's not easy. There doesn't seem to be a way to set the width, so the image has to be the right size before you upload it. If I figure anything out, I'll be sure to post as I'm sure I'll post an image at some point in the future.

How would you describe the band itself? Steve suggested they might be loops with a drawstring, which is where someone might have had the idea that you could put a belt inside. What I did get from the Celtic Croft was that it's only an inch and a half or so thick. That, with what you described, it sounds like it's just a bit of material to reinforce the pleats from the inside. Basically, I imagine it's just there to keep the pleats from stretching or folding funny when people try to put it on. Does that sound about right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast