X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steglitz View Post
    Just for kicks, I thought I'd try and upload a picture, and you're right, it's not easy. There doesn't seem to be a way to set the width, so the image has to be the right size before you upload it. If I figure anything out, I'll be sure to post as I'm sure I'll post an image at some point in the future.

How would you describe the band itself? Steve suggested they might be loops with a drawstring, which is where someone might have had the idea that you could put a belt inside. What I did get from the Celtic Croft was that it's only an inch and a half or so thick. That, with what you described, it sounds like it's just a bit of material to reinforce the pleats from the inside. Basically, I imagine it's just there to keep the pleats from stretching or folding funny when people try to put it on. Does that sound about right?
    open the pic in 'paint' and reduce it by 50%. the button is on top in the toolbar listed as 'resize'
    Well, unless you're using a Mac...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually using Linux. I don't have trouble resizing images, but I'm used to forum tools where you upload an image and then select the width or change the aspect ratio before submitting your post. It removes the necessity to actually manipulate the physical characteristics of a file and allows you to focus on its display. When I tried it here, it just embedded the photo without an opportunity to set a width. I'm new to these tools here, and I've seen many well-sized images, so I'm sure I'm just missing something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for kicks, I thought I'd try and upload a picture, and you're right, it's not easy. There doesn't seem to be a way to set the width, so the image has to be the right size before you upload it. If I figure anything out, I'll be sure to post as I'm sure I'll post an image at some point in the future.

How would you describe the band itself? Steve suggested they might be loops with a drawstring, which is where someone might have had the idea that you could put a belt inside. What I did get from the Celtic Croft was that it's only an inch and a half or so thick. That, with what you described, it sounds like it's just a bit of material to reinforce the pleats from the inside. Basically, I imagine it's just there to keep the pleats from stretching or folding funny when people try to put it on. Does that sound about right?
    Yes it is about 1.5" wide and as little longer than the pleats are wide. I guess like the liner or stabilizer on a modern kilt? I think I read or saw somewhere they used belt loops and a woven rope to make it easier to form the pleats but I like the cheater pleats myself.

Xmarks has a thread on how to post pictures here, I just need to buckle down and take time and read on how to do it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the photo in the title and here it is. I used "snipping tool" that allowed me to size it down and post.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fabric is pleated, one or two lines of stitching is run across the top of the pleats, then a grosgrain type nylon ribbon is sewn down on the inside.

Their great kilts are not like anything I have ever seen before. It is not 2 single width pieces butted up together, nor is it even double wide. It is single width fabric with the pleats at one end, and then a long length of unpleated cloth that you some how wrap around you an extra time? I simply do not get it, even with the instructions on their page. I'm simply too stuck in the historic era having worn great kilts most of my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    The fabric is pleated, one or two lines of stitching is run across the top of the pleats, then a grosgrain type nylon ribbon is sewn down on the inside.

Their great kilts are not like anything I have ever seen before. It is not 2 single width pieces butted up together, nor is it even double wide. It is single width fabric with the pleats at one end, and then a long length of unpleated cloth that you some how wrap around you an extra time? I simply do not get it, even with the instructions on their page. I'm simply too stuck in the historic era having worn great kilts most of my life.
    They do a double width one as well. The one you describe is their version of a “Braveheart” movie costume I think, marketed as an “ancient” kilt.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Guthrumironhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I saw the photo in the title and here it is. I used "snipping tool" that allowed me to size it down and post.
    I have that exact image on my desktop. I tried to find an image that I could practice posting with, went through a few steps, and then decided not to submit. Did you see that anywhere else or did you just happen to choose that same one? Just want to make sure I'm not accidentally posting half-baked posts because I couldn't find the cancel button.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post

It's interesting to me how many small variations I've found in people's descriptions; thus, the desire for a photo to better understand what's going on. Your description does make me most cautious in regards to the cheater pleats.

Isn't a traditional great kilt double-wide fabric which is generally hand-pleated in the middle? Do you wear your great kilt regularly or more for events? I'd imagine it would be quite time consuming to pleat your plaid every day. I must admit, though, I am quite impressed with how versatile it can be.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have that exact image on my desktop. I tried to find an image that I could practice posting with, went through a few steps, and then decided not to submit. Did you see that anywhere else or did you just happen to choose that same one? Just want to make sure I'm not accidentally posting half-baked posts because I couldn't find the cancel button.
    There is a small icon on the list of new threads to the right of your title. When clicked on, the image will appear. I just captured it with a jpg tool my wife uses and re-posted to my comment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12