X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    There was a time when rare earth magnets to hold the kilt pin on, without putting holes in the kilt, were all the rage.

Until you go through a parking lot and your kilt pin decides to latch itself to the fender of some parked car.
    Yikes! I imagine leaving a nice scratch in someone's car before you can stop yourself from walking. They still seem like a practical idea. Are they common nowadays, or have they fallen out of favor?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's as good a reason as any to wear them. I have some cufflinks from my Grandfather, but I don't get many chances to wear them. I value things that get handed down through generations like that. It's nice to have things that remind us of those we love. It's too bad my Grandfather didn't do kilts like yours.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, in The Highlanders Of Scotland more men are wearing round Clan Crest pins than any other type.

Only a relatively few men in Highlanders Of Scotland are wearing any sort of kilt pin; kilt pins didn't become widely popular until the 1920s, and then it was mostly swords etc and the pins tended to have a long vertical orientation.

But evidently the 1860s experienced a fad for Clan Crest badges and you see them as kilt pins, plaid brooches, and cap badges, and the crest itself appeared on sporran cantles, dirk belt buckles, etc.

And in the Pipe Band world there's one band that wears fullsize Clan Crest cap badges (the big ones for Glengarries) as kilt pins, Boghall and Bathgate:

They also stood out in the Pipe Band world by holding onto their 1990s white socks long after all the other Grade One bands had gone to dark.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 29th July 19 at 04:55 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what you mean about the full-sized clan crest cap badges looking a bit large. I think my big take away from all of this is, wear what you like, or not. There doesn't seem to be a wrong way to do it.

Regarding Boghall and Bathgate, I have a green Henderson kilt, and while I do prefer the look of black socks, but white has sounded pretty good on some of these super hot days recently. Good for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prince Charles with kilt pin crest

I am not sure which crest he is using but Prince Charles seems to be using one here.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RCNVR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RCNVR View Post
    I am not sure which crest he is using but Prince Charles seems to be using one here.
    Yes he does!

I'm glad he chose to wear his full kilt for that occasion. There are times when your half kilt just won't do.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RCNVR View Post
    From my imperfect memory, it seems that the Prince has taken to wearing that kilt pin when he started wearing that particular tartan. Up to then, I seem to recall that with his other tartan kilts he often wore a "horse blanket" style pin half way up the edge of the kilt, which is these days, a slightly uncommon choice of position (although far from incorrect) for a kilt pin.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 4th August 19 at 12:58 PM. Reason: found my glasses
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I seem to recall that with his other tartan kilts he often wore a "horse blanket" style pin half way up the edge of the kilt, which is these days, a slightly uncommon choice of position (although far from incorrect) for a kilt pin.
    That of course is a kilt pin, and style of wearing it, which he would be long familiar with from his Gordon Highlanders uniform.

Last edited by OC Richard; 6th August 19 at 05:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Duke of Rothesay Does..

Quote Originally Posted by steglitz View Post
    I've seen many swords with a clan crest on them, but can one simply use a clan crest badge as a kilt pin? Is it considered correct, or are crest badges reserved for the Glengarry?
    So, I guess the answer to that might be, “yes”. There are dozens of pix on line of HRH Prince Charles in Highland attire wearing a clan crest as a kilt pin whilst opening ahis new B&B at Castle May a few weeks back.
    B09AF492-39B8-4556-BB2E-1165305E61EC.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Yes he does!

I'm glad he chose to wear his full kilt for that occasion. There are times when your half kilt just won't do.
    So now I have to ask. What do you consider a "full kilt?" Do you mean he also wore the socks, vest, sporran, etc?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast