X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can one use a clan crest badge as a kilt pin?

I've seen many swords with a clan crest on them, but can one simply use a clan crest badge as a kilt pin? Is it considered correct, or are crest badges reserved for the Glengarry?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to the search and type in kilt pin and you will find at least one very extensive thread with pictures of unusual and handmade kilt pins.

I’m guessing the standard clan badge/claymore design was ultimately just another way to cash in on the “what clan am I?” craze....

I would think the smaller sized clan badge would work just fine. The bigger size normal scaled to fit on the bow of a Glengarry or Balmoral bonnet might be too large.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to pbutts For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rule 1 - You never, ever, pin both aprons together. You will tear your kilt. The pin does not hold the kilt closed.

Myth 1 - The pin is not a weight to hold the apron down in the wind as is often repeated. The kilt is a wrap around garment. If the front apron blows up you have another one underneath going in the opposite direction. (try it yourself)

Myth 1a - There is also the myth about the Queen using one of her pins to pin down some soldiers kilt. I cannot find any historical proof to support this story. The large diaper pin shaped pin is actually a horse blanket pin. They used what they had. What is more likely is that there was a time before we used straps and buckles that the blanket pin kept the kilt on. Then, when we started using straps and buckles the blanket pin was kept, just moved down to the bottom.

Myth 2 - There is no requirement that you display your clan crest on every item or accessory of your outfit. When you see one of the matchy-matchy guys with his Clan crest on his sgain, his pin, his sporran, his belt buckle, and his fly brooch, I always feel a need to scream - "Dude, you have your Tartan. Did you forget who you were when you got dressed?"

The kilt pin is bling. The equivalent of a lady wearing a brooch. A little glint of jewelry in an outfit.
    Any pin you already have will work. Some, like myself, have one pin for each kilt and the pin lives on that kilt. Each one of mine is different and has some meaning to me. One is a Kokopelli as the kilt it lives on was first shown to the public in Arizona. The only time the pin is removed is when the kilt is cleaned. This way I am not constantly removing and re-installing the pin creating a new hole each time.

So yes, you can use a cap badge for a pin if you wish. No one can tell you that you are wrong. But it is large, so most people would think it looks better on the bonnet.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much! I was never told to pin them together, but I was told that it's a weight, which is why I thought I needed one. I just so happened to have a kilt without a pin and an extra clan badge, but I thought that maybe the badge was reserved for use with the Glengarry. If it's not actually required at all, I feel inclined to leave it off and not worry about getting it caught on something and damaging the front apron.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to steglitz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your recommendation. I tried searching for kilt pin and originally came up empty. I missed the error message that said the terms were too broad and "kilt" and "pin" were removed from my search. I tried it again with double quotes around the entire phrase, and it worked great. I found the thread you mentioned.

I happened to have a smaller clan badge, but after reading Steve Ashton's post, I think I'll just leave it off altogether.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to steglitz For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a time when rare earth magnets to hold the kilt pin on, without putting holes in the kilt, were all the rage.

Until you go through a parking lot and your kilt pin decides to latch itself to the fender of some parked car.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

11. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Myth 1a - There is also the myth about the Queen using one of her pins to pin down some soldiers kilt. I cannot find any historical proof to support this story. The large diaper pin shaped pin is actually a horse blanket pin. They used what they had. What is more likely is that there was a time before we used straps and buckles that the blanket pin kept the kilt on. Then, when we started using straps and buckles the blanket pin was kept, just moved down to the bottom.
    Steve, the myth refers to an alleged incident when Queen Victoria was reviewing the 92nd (Gordon Highlanders). That, if indeed it took place at all, would have been at Ballater or Braemar, or possibly Balmoral. It is said that a soldier's kilt caught the wind and that the Queen moved forward and pinned the aprons together with a blanket pin. Such military traditions are not unknown but in this case it is very unlikely that QV would have touched a common soldier, let alone go anywhere near his nether region but it is of course possible that she got someone else to do it. Had that happened, it's certainly something the regiment might have adopted as a 'Royal favour'.

I grew up with this as a truism but I've never seen any proof.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Steve said, the kilt pin as worn today is 'man bling'. There ks no requirement to wear a either a kit pin or a clan crest, I've worn neither for many, many years.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most(not all) experienced kilt wearers think that X yards of Clan tartan makes a Clan crest kilt pin quite unnecessary. I have two kilts and two plain kilt pins(one on each kilt) and I suppose that I wear them for well, perhaps a wee tad more than sentimental reasons, one was my Grandfather's and one was my father's. Would I bother with a kilt pin otherwise? No.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 12th July 19 at 06:51 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

17. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast