X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice

I have a kilt in my families tartan which is Innes red modern and am in the process of purchasing a beat and jacket. What colour would be appropriate for a mostly red tartan? I don’t want to be totally formal so a prince Charlie jacket is not what I’m looking for. Would grey go with the red and cra hose? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pete.

Grey Argyl or Crail jackets go with pretty well anything and is a really good choice for daywear.

Not sure what you mean by a "beat" or a "cra"
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any color would go with Innes. The tartan kinda stands by itself; you just want to have the rest of your duds look good together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete:

Welcome to the forum! If you're not looking for a black Prince Charlie or Argyll jacket, then grey tweed would certainly look all right, as Fr. Bill has said.

I'm a big fan of lovat green tweed (the color you see in my profile picture) for an Argyll jacket and for kilt hose. I think it would look terrific with a mostly red kilt, and would open you up to hose that are not black or grey or cream. There's a little bit of the peacock in Scottish attire, so let your imagination run a little.

As far as accessories like belt and sporran go, you'll naturally gravitate to black because of the kilt color, but don't let yourself get stuck there either.

Depending on the color tweed you choose for a jacket, a brown daywear sporran might look really sharp. Many members (myself included) rarely wear a belt (the kilt is designed to stay up with the straps, which means the belt is decorative). Don't feel like you necessarily have to have a belt at all.

But mainly, welcome!

Rodger
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beat was meant to say vest and cra was cream hose. Bloody iPhone

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pete9288 For This Useful Post: