X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remembering a tartan 40 years later, Part 2

(The original thread is locked and the photos have disappeared into the Photobucket abyss, so...)

It was 1975 and I had just got my first set of pipes. Best Day Ever!

Now I needed my first kilt. But I had only once seen a kilt in person, and didn't know anywhere I could get one. This in the pre-internet days, mind you. So in our hillbilly make-do way I went down to the local fabric shop and bought a length of a passably tartanlike wool. I liked the colours; we were living in the desert and the tartan was mostly tan and blue which I thought was suitable for the desert sand and sky.

My grandmother made the kilt. She had never seen one, and we were mostly guessing as to how they were made.

I wore this kilt only for a year or two, and I have no idea what became of it.

A few years ago, around the 40th anniversary of getting that first kilt, I was trying to remember what that tartan looked like. I couldn't find a single photo of it.

Here's what I came up with from memory, having not seen that tartan for nearly 40 years:

I remembered a tan background, wide Royal Blue stripes, and smaller stripes of black, red, and white.

Then recently I came across a trove of old family slides, and in it were a couple photos of me wearing that kilt!

They're the earliest photos I have of me kilted or piping:

From that I've been able to come up with a more accurate reconstruction. Interesting that I remembered the little black/white/black motif! But completely misremembered where the red occurred.

In the earlier thread someone pointed out the similarity of this "fashion tartan" to a version of Royal Stewart with a tan background and blue motif, called "navy Stewart" or "Royal Stewart, navy".

Here's a fellow XMarker wearing his navy Stewart kilt

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...stewart-18313/
    Last edited by OC Richard; 20th July 19 at 02:25 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: