X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to go hatted most times, usually some form of ball cap, or wide brimmed if I will be in the sun for a long time. This year, most of the time I have been kilted I took my Tilley.
    I actually am wearing my newly made Tam today with jeans. Needed to beat some use into it. I really haven't worn a beret-type cover except for my old red Boy Scout beret that was passed down to me, and that was only with a scouting uniform.
    From a practical standpoint, I have to disagree and state the modern balmoral or tam is not a good cold weather cap. In areas that experience below freezing or snowy winters it just doesn't work. It is very important to protect the ears from the cold. A large portion of the body's heat is lost through the head, specifically the ears. Additionally it is uncomfortable and risks the ears to frostbite. A good knit stocking cap or, better yet, a fur lined trapper will do you very well with t******s or kilt. Those living outside the outside the real winter areas can get away with not covering their ears, I can't.
    A balmoral will work well in saxon wear. If someone could wear a beret with it, you can do better with a balmoral. A nicely assembled suit would look smashing with a properly jocked balmoral!

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KnittedReenactor For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234