X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s my go to winter headgear, whether in Saxon attire or Highland dress. Remember that in auld lang syne the knit woolen bonnet which evolved into the Balmoral was ubiquitous in Scotland and worn in Highlands and Lowlands in all seasons and modes of dress.
    Last edited by Guthrumironhead; 29th July 19 at 09:19 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Guthrumironhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear tweed varieties of the Balmoral in the winter time with "Saxon" dress. Too hot in the Southern Summers however.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know there are more Saxon/Balmoral wearers here, because an old friend of mine who is an XMarker visited me at Disneyland wearing an elegant Balmoral (in "fawn" I believe) with a lovely silver vintage clan badge.

It goes to show you don't necessarily have to be kilted to display fine taste in Highland Dress.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scottish and saxon head dress

Since posting this thread i have been several hours on the forum checking the 1st 30 pages of both the General Kilt Talk and Kilt Advise pages, and discovered much information and many varied opinions regarding almost every type of hat that can (and should not) be worn with a kilt. It seems i am not the only one with an unnatural interest in hats. Although, i have certain reservations when it comes to wearing hats from one culture with the clothing of another (individuality and my desire to wear a balmoral with saxon clothes aside). Well...maybe the flat hat. But, very loosely summating past posts of one forum member; no hat is better than the wrong hat.
    Last edited by Jacques; 31st July 19 at 06:30 PM.
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jacques For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full disclosure: I am a hat-wearer and rarely leave the house without something on my head. So consider my comments in that context.

I have worn balmorals with and without the kilt, although I am much more likely to wear them when I'm kilted. However, in cold, windy weather they are a very comfortable, practical choice (not to mention stylish). In extremely cold, windy weather, I opt for my fur ushanka instead of the balmoral--unless I am kilted.

In the area where Tobus lives, I suspect cowboy hats--even rather flamboyant ones--would be seen as pretty "normal" for the same sorts of reasons that balmorals are so accepted in Father Bill's neighborhood. Each hat represents a cultural heritage that is widely recognized by the locals.

Although balmorals are my usual headgear with the kilt, I have also worn a tam, a pith helmet, and a heavy wool beret with a fur toorie that I bought from a street vendor in Shanghai. If I owned a "Sherlock Holmes" deerstalker, I would also wear that, since it is a traditional choice. I would even be willing to wear the flat "driving" cap, although I know many members do not care for that look. However, although I do own a rather flamboyant "ten gallon" cowboy hat, I would not choose to wear it with my kilt. I have worn it with trousers, though.

The old "So You're Going to Wear the Kilt" book suggests adopting the balmoral as a way to ease into Highland dress. If that works for you, go for it. I found that when I showed up in my kilt outfit to a social event for the first time, everyone loved it and seemed very excited. So I quickly stopped worrying about whether I might look odd or receive rude comments. If you wear it with style and pride, you will find that the kilt helps you connect with strangers in a positive way.

Have fun!

10. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, it is seasonal. 40 F to 0 F I wear a MOD tam or "bonnie blue".
    Below 0 F, I opt for a full fur ushanka.

Just my preferences, no rules involved.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Fedgunner For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Balmoral with Sasanach Satorials...

‘tis long been my practice to wear my balmorals daily when the cooler weather prevails in the Mojave Desert. The many favorable comments provide me with opportunities to promote Clan Young as well as the Las Vegas Celtic Society.
    Semper Paratus

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Braw Cathairneach For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    Since posting this thread i have been several hours on the forum checking the 1st 30 pages of both the General Kilt Talk and Kilt Advise pages, and discovered much information and many varied opinions regarding almost every type of hat that can (and should not) be worn with a kilt. It seems i am not the only one with an unnatural interest in hats. Although, i have certain reservations when it comes to wearing hats from one culture with the clothing of another (individuality and my desire to wear a balmoral with saxon clothes aside). Well...maybe the flat hat. But, very loosely summating past posts of one forum member; no hat is better than the wrong hat.
    With particular reference to your last sentence, above. That sounds like something that I might have written.

Anyway generally speaking, I agree. However, I have also said in the past that with the knowledge that we have today about skin cancer risks there are reasonable and acceptable wide brimmed alternatives to the balmoral such as the Scottish traditional fore and aft, panama------yes with the kilt, or not so traditional Tilly hat or the Aussie "slouch hat". I suppose that opens the door to the North American Style "ten gallon" hat too. I also recall saying that common sense should prevail when the elements conspire against you and sartorial elegance must take second place.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

16. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree one's health and safety should be placed first and foremost before tradition and fashion. Although when choosing a hat to wear with THCD, or any other manner of dress, discretion and good taste must also be considered. My present wardrobe including hats is pretty conservative. My choice to wear a kilt will certainly be a step away from my conservativeness as it applies to my geographic location. At present most of my hats are for cold weather wear. But with all the new information acquired, i may be shopping for a Tilley or similar hat next summer.

Upon submitting this post it appears to me that it is very close in substance to the post submitted by Jock. Apologies to all for the needless repetition.
    Last edited by Jacques; 25th August 19 at 02:52 PM.
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am now in my mid-sixties but since my early twenties my go to cool/cold weather hat is a Balmoral. I find them a warm and practical hat. It is neat, comfortable, reasonably warm when worn the traditional way and in severe conditions it can be pulled down over your ears. They can also be easily rolled up and put in a pocket when you step indoors. I have several of them. All pretty simple and plain without badges or ribbons. In my youth they were popular headwear here for curling and are often referred to locally as Curling Tams. I never get any comment about them one way or the other.

An odd note is that though I regularly wear one with pants, I almost never do with a kilt. Too my eye they kind of turn the kilt into a costume rather than respectable gentleman's dress. When kilted I go hatless.

19. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Singlemalt For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast