X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vegan kilts

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand and respect the rationale some people have of not wanting an animal to be sacrificed for one's attire. However, sheep generally survive being sheared, so that the wool can grow back for next year's "harvest." So I'm not sure that any sheep are harmed to make a wool kilt.

Now I can imagine that not all sheep are living in ideal conditions, although it would seem more likely that those destined to become lambchops are more likely to be raised in factory conditions than those who will be sheared on a regular basis for their wool.

So I am just a little unsure what is so "un-vegan" about wool.

The leather straps (or footwear) I can totally understand. But the wool material seems less of a clear-cut issue of animal welfare (or survival).

Just a question I found myself wondering about.

Andrew

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    So I'm not sure that any sheep are harmed to make a wool kilt.
    Just a question I found myself wondering about.
    I wondered that too, so I looked into it. And what I learned was a little hard to stomach.
    Caution, difficult subject matter to follow, you may not want to read what follows...

Sheep are harmed to make wool.

At first I thought it was a North American thing, because we can be a very commercially competitive nation, often putting production over morals. However I learned that the harming of sheep is widespread in UK wool production too. I still kept an air of disbelief in the back of mind, until I was invited to an event, as part of my political life, that included a sheep shearing demonstration. In this demonstration I watched as a sheep was lifted off the ground and essentially "suplexed" onto the ground. The sheerer unhappy with the sheep's percieved lack of cooperation chose to then repeatedly punch the sheep while she set about sheering it. The uncooperative sheep we repeatedly cut and was bleeding significantly when the sheering was done and ran for cover. The sheering assistant hid the bloodied wool under a pile of other wool to hide it. This was at a public, family, event!
    Then recently the Guardian UK went undercover to show the abuse that UK farms were committing against the sheep there. Again, violently punching and kicking the animals, forcibly dragging them around and sheering with no guides, causing cuts and bloodied wool.

The picture I was sold as a kid of the caring farmer, carefully sheering a sheep for its wool, and the relieved sheep smiling after, is a lie I bought because it was convenient.

There is some, but very little natural wool production where wool is collected from sheep that are naturally shedding/molting. But this production is too slow for most, and many sheep themselves have been bred to overproduce wool at a rate to which they can't shed/molt. We've done this to them, and ourselves.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a thought...

I personally know a lot of people that have extreme reactions to wool. It is really unbearable for them to wear it.

Poly-Viscose kilts and kilted skirts give them a chance to wear highland attire without suffering for it.

Also buying a kilt is a fairly expensive proposition and a PV kilt offers someone a chance to have something custom made for them without having to spend as much money on a wool tartan kilt.

Someone can buy a USA Kilts semi traditional kilt and then go to Stillwater Kilts for hose, belt, and a sporran and have a nice basic highland outfit for about $300 or less.

Compare that to buying a hand sewn wool kilt and all high end important Scottish made accessories. You are probably looking at a minimum of $600 plus.

Now of course for those in the know, there is Ebay and such. But you have to be in the know.

Maybe $300 isn't a big difference to you, but to some people it is a REALLY big difference, especially for something that they might not be too sure of if they will really be comfortable wearing out.

So, poly-viscose kilts might not be as good as wool ones, but they offer value and an option to those allergic to wool.

(And if someone gets a PV kilt and finds that they do really like highland attire and do afterwards buy a traditional hand sewn wool tartan kilt... ...well, having a lighter weight and washable second kilt can be handy!)

Cheers

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 21st August 19 at 10:25 AM.
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am quite sure the issues of injured and abused animals during the sheep shearing process are overblown in relation to what the facts actually suggest. Organizations like the Guardian want to attract viewers with shocking headlines thereby earning profits, while PETA is acting for a political agenda. Take such statements of rampant evil with a grain of salt.
    Now that said, I will not dispute video evidence of such abuses, nor will I ever say that it is impossible and never happens. Is does happen from time to time, but it is not the norm. From a business standpoint it makes no sense. Injured animals cost more money than well cared for ones. Sheep shearing is a safe process when the shearer is knowledgeable and acts with care. It really only becomes a hazzard to the sheep with someone who does not have the knowledge, does not respect the work or other life, and should never have been in a position to cause such harm. Remember that these are individuals acting on their own, just because they shear sheep does not mean all sheep shearers are like them. Boy, that can be applied to a lot of groups.

Panache, you have a point about the costs and allergies comparison between wool and synthetics. I seriously doubt any real connoisseur here, such as Jock, Riverkilt, Hamish, Pleater or yourself, would seriously poohpooh anyone for acquiring one.
    I think the point some were making is wool production has a less negative impact on the environment than synthetics production, which can release toxins into the air and water. Many people (right or wrong) connect Veganism/Vegetarian->Animal Welfare->Environmentalism.

My first kilt was an acrylic, simply because I couldn't wait anymore on the severally delayed and expensive wool I had ordered. Having worn both, I think the fabric and construction of the wool is markedly better than the acrylic. If I was allergic to wool I would settle for a good PV, that would get me to 95%+ of the wool. I like having an acrylic, but like most acrylics, it is far below the standards of a proper Freedom Kilts, USA Kilts, or Tewksbury. I will eventually have to disassemble and rebuild it to increase its longevity. Remember this: Wools are heirlooms, acrylic is not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have looked closely at P/V as a material for a kilt. I have plans to get one as a traveling garment because they are easier to wash clean than wool.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Documentaries

At first I thought it was a North American thing, because we can be a very commercially competitive nation, often putting production over morals. However I learned that the harming of sheep is widespread in UK wool production too. I still kept an air of disbelief in the back of mind, until I was invited to an event, as part of my political life, that included a sheep shearing demonstration. In this demonstration I watched as a sheep was lifted off the ground and essentially "suplexed" onto the ground. The sheerer unhappy with the sheep's percieved lack of cooperation chose to then repeatedly punch the sheep while she set about sheering it. The uncooperative sheep we repeatedly cut and was bleeding significantly when the sheering was done and ran for cover. The sheering assistant hid the bloodied wool under a pile of other wool to hide it. This was at a public, family, event!
    Then recently the Guardian UK went undercover to show the abuse that UK farms were committing against the sheep there. Again, violently punching and kicking the animals, forcibly dragging them around and sheering with no guides, causing cuts and bloodied wool.

The picture I was sold as a kid of the caring farmer, carefully sheering a sheep for its wool, and the relieved sheep smiling after, is a lie I bought because it was convenient.

There is some, but very little natural wool production where wool is collected from sheep that are naturally shedding/molting. But this production is too slow for most, and many sheep themselves have been bred to overproduce wool at a rate to which they can't shed/molt. We've done this to them, and ourselves.[/QUOTE]

When I was young I thought documentaries were always truthful and accurate. Not too many years ago it was pointed out to me that ALL documentaries have a perspective, a bias, some more obvious than others, and that this should always be taken into account when accepting or rejecting in part or in total what is presented.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12