X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof Cargo Carrier

I have a question for those of you who host a clan tent at Highland Games. Do you have a roof cargo carrier (box or bag) on your vehicle?

I always pack the clan tent stuff first (for stability) and then put our luggage in last. At the beginning of a Games, we always drive to the site and drop off our tent stuff before we go to the hotel to check-in. So we have to take the luggage out, take the clan tent stuff out, and then put the luggage back in. On the last day, we always check-out of the hotel before going to the Games. So when we pack up to leave, we have to take the luggage out, put the clan tent stuff in, and then put the luggage back in.

I was thinking if I had a roof cargo carrier, I could put all our luggage in there and, poof, problem solved. My concern is that I have convened at almost 30 Games over the last 6 years, and I cannot remember ever seeing a roof cargo carrier at any of them. I realize that a roof cargo carrier will reduce MPG, but are there other issues?
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allen:

You might also consider a hitch mounted cargo carrier, which would reduce the amount of drag, as your cargo would be behind your vehicle instead of on top of it. I’ve not noticed any appreciable difference in mpg when using mine.

The amount of cargo you can carry in one will depend on your vehicle type and size of the basket.

If my family is with me at an event, I’ve had the very problem you describe. Guess I just need a larger vehicle!😋

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Nissan Murano came with side rails on top. I bought a pair of cross bars, and they arrived and I installed them this week. We bought our Christmas tree yesterday, and they laid it across the cross bars and tied it down to the rails. Very cool.

Rather than a roof cargo box, I'm leaning toward a basket and a cargo bag. What say you?
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every year I attend Highland Games as a vendor. This means that I pack my entire kilt shop and all the accessories into my mini van.

I usually pack items so that the tents go on the top roof rack last and come off first.
    Then the grid walls and tables.
    Then all of the kilt shop items like jackets, hose, ties, and jewelry from inside the van.

The first thing in and the last thing out are our personal items.

At the end of the games everything is packed back into the van in the same order it is disassembled. Personal items like the cash box go in first.

The tents comes down last so they are the last item to go on the roof rack.

No two years are ever the same but after ten or twelve years you sort of get things down to a system.

This display took two people just under two hours to set up or take down. And as we cannot drive onto the field, this includes the time to lug everything from the parking lot to our assigned spot.

Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 13th December 19 at 12:26 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Allen. You know we have a truck. Perhaps you should get one for your next vehicle. Christine and I put the STA/COSCA stuff in the back bed of the truck and personal gear in the rear seat area. Doesn't matter which we do first, motel or games setup. This worked out well at the Swamp Fox games in Florence SC this year. Now let's think bigger. What you really need is a truck and a travel trailer, which is what we usually use for games. Pay less for camping instead of those expensive hoity-toity hotels you use. OK, OK. I can hear you thinking "Thanks Matt, but what has any of your excellent advice have to do with my current situation?" Picky, picky. I asssume you know ahead of time whether or not you will go to the motel or games first. Whichever it is, pack the stuff for that last. OK, solved that problem. While I've got you, we lost our pop-up canopy at the Swamp Fox games due to wind/rain problems. Santa has brought us a better one for Christmas. At least there is a really big box in my living room with a "do not open till Xmas" sign on it. Regards and "Merry Christmas" to you and your wife.
    Insperata Floruit! - Flourished Unexpectedly!

KABOOM; Kilted Christians; Kilted In Carolina; Matt Newsome Kilt Owners Group; R Kilts are Awesome; SEKS - The Great Southeastern Kilt Society; The Order of the Dandelion

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Balaamsass51 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balaamsass51 View Post
    Hello Allen. You know we have a truck. Perhaps you should get one for your next vehicle. Christine and I put the STA/COSCA stuff in the back bed of the truck and personal gear in the rear seat area. Doesn't matter which we do first, motel or games setup. This worked out well at the Swamp Fox games in Florence SC this year. Now let's think bigger. What you really need is a truck and a travel trailer, which is what we usually use for games. Pay less for camping instead of those expensive hoity-toity hotels you use. OK, OK. I can hear you thinking "Thanks Matt, but what has any of your excellent advice have to do with my current situation?" Picky, picky. I asssume you know ahead of time whether or not you will go to the motel or games first. Whichever it is, pack the stuff for that last. OK, solved that problem. While I've got you, we lost our pop-up canopy at the Swamp Fox games due to wind/rain problems. Santa has brought us a better one for Christmas. At least there is a really big box in my living room with a "do not open till Xmas" sign on it. Regards and "Merry Christmas" to you and your wife.
    Hi Matt,

Thanks for the advice. We have actually considered the pickup truck and travel trailer; that may be in our future. Merry Christmas to You and Chris and Zach and his family!
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a Haul Master roof rack from Harbor Freight. I will field test it in April, when we go to the Loch Norman Highland Games. I'll post pictures and a review after.
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Loch Norman Highland Games has been postponed until August, so the first opportunity I will have to field test my roof rack will be at the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games in July, assuming the plague has been beaten into submission by then.
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All our Highland Games were cancelled this year. Hopefully, I'll be able to use the roof rack next year.
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a long Thule box on the top of my Suburban - I always set up two 10x10 tents so I need the room. I put all the chairs and some of the displays in the box, the rest including luggage goes into the back of the truck. With the rear seats folded down the storage space in the truck is 8 feet long, similar to a pickup with a cap.

CTB
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post: