X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sizing question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sizing question

I have ordered 3 utility kilts from UT Kilts. I guessed my length when I placed the order. I am 6 ft 1. So, I ordered 23 and a half length. When I measured my length I came up with 22. However, USA kilts has a chart that states for a person of my height it should be 24. So, I am asking will that 23 and half length be within the appropiate range for me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every kilt maker has slightly different standards for how he or she sizes kilts. Never use one maker's measuring instructions for another maker.

That said, 23 1/2 inches sounds pretty close to correct to me. I am 5'11". My kilt is just under 24 inches in length. Were I ordering a new kilt, I would order 23 1/2 inches. Well, or at least mention it to the maker. To know for sure, you'll have to try on your new kilt.

Holcombe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Holcombe Thomas View Post
    Every kilt maker has slightly different standards for how he or she sizes kilts. Never use one maker's measuring instructions for another maker.

That said, 23 1/2 inches sounds pretty close to correct to me. I am 5'11". My kilt is just under 24 inches in length. Were I ordering a new kilt, I would order 23 1/2 inches. Well, or at least mention it to the maker. To know for sure, you'll have to try on your new kilt.

Holcombe
    Thank you for your reply. I had to special order the kilts. It will be a bit before they arrive. I should be fine as long as they sit from about an inch above the knee to the middle, correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When standing, the kilt should be from the top of the knee cap to mid-knee, at least traditionally. If it is much above the top of the knee cap, to me, at least, it may be a bit short.

The difficulty is determining what we are measuring. Traditionally worn kilts are worn at the anatomical waist, which is rather higher than the height at which most of us wear trousers. Some contemporary kilt makers, I understand, design their kilts to be worn at trouser or jeans height. A 24 inch long kilt, worn where I wear jeans, would be too long on me.

24 inches is a pretty common measurement length for off-the-rack kilts. And, truth be told, you can make some (reasonable) adjustments in length by where you put the top of the kilt without causing discomfort or those seeing you to run away screaming. Kilts are forgiving garments.

If you have questions, call UT Kilts. I am sure they have dealt with these issues before.

When I ordered my kilt some years ago, it was properly fit to mid-knee. Now having worn the kilt, I would prefer it be a bit closer to the top of the knee cap. When I order another kilt, I will make sure that happens, but I am quite fine with the existing kilt. I simply learned my preferences over time.

I am sure some of our makers and kilt experts will weigh in and correct me.

Holcombe

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I may suggest one way to ballpark your length is - if you have a wide belt or some webbing -

Put the belt around yourself at where you feel you wish to wear the waist if the kilt.

Then go up to a door frame or other vertical edge. Make a small mark at the top of the belt, like you would record your kids growth.

Do the same with your leg. Put your leg against the door frame and make a mark where you think you will want the bottom of the kilt to be.

Finally, with a tape measure or ruler, measure from one mark to the other. That will give you a pretty good idea of your kilt length.

As has been mentioned, at the time the traditional kilt was designed, all men's trousers were worn right up under the ribs. This is the anatomical waist and is much higher than we wear trousers today.

The 24 inch length of the off-the-rack kilts assumes that you will wear the kilt in this older style.

The traditional kilt is one of the very few pieces of clothing where the wearer must adapt to the design of the garment instead of the garment adapting to the wishes of the wearer.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 26th July 19 at 08:52 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Torso lengths vary as do leg lengths. I am 5 ft. 11 and have a 24 length kilt. I do wear my kilts high on my body (just feels right that way to me) so the hem falls where I like it on my knee.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Torso lengths vary as do leg lengths. I am 5 ft. 11 and have a 24 length kilt. I do wear my kilts high on my body (just feels right that way to me) so the hem falls where I like it on my knee.
    This. It depends on you. I am long-waisted and hence am taller than you might expect for the length of my legs (it took me years to figure out why I have to buy "petite" length pants when my height does not fall into the "petite" range-- and in some cases, I'm better off buying the "tall" size of shirts). That means that on me, most skirts are longer than intended, so if I were to go from "standard" measurements, I would find a skirt to be too long. This is a long story to say that in the end, it's your measurements that matter, and not what a maker or manufacture guesstimates the "average" person is like. Just because what you measure seems a bit off from what they estimate doesn't necessarily mean you're measuring incorrectly, it just means you're not made from a cookie cutter (or, you could be measuring incorrectly, especially if you measured yourself {possibility of bending to do the measurement} or forgot to account for any curve you may have in the rear. Either way, it seems the 23.5" might be fine as it won't be vastly too short in case your length really should be 24", but gives you a bit of leeway in case you measured a bit short).
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Katia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems to be a number of us here in the same range as you. I'm 5'11" ( now going down- was taller) and like Katia, long waisted. My first, a utility kilt, was of the rack at 24". I wear it close to traditional height and it works well. Both of my traditional wool kilts are 23". The Stillwater economy wool kilt is 24" and must be worn pretty high to get the desired length at the knee.
    They are all from different makers. I have not compared the rise(s) between them. I seems logical that that can make almost as much difference as the length.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Brian Rose For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top of the knee seems to be the general advice for where a kilt should stop, but what about up top? I have received conflicting advice about where you should start your measurements, with some of the difference being attributed to the nature of the use (i.e., piping kilt vs. regular wear).

I thought the naval was supposed to be a good "landmark." I've also read your waist is wherever you skin folds when you bend off to the side, which is higher than my navel on me, but seems more arbitrary as bodies bend differently for a number of reasons. I've been told that military and pipe bands generally wear a longer kilt. So is there really a difference, or is it more up to the kiltmaker?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The anatomical waist is not an arbitrary place on your body. It is based on the bones which do not move. It it where the bones of the spine bend.

The navel is on soft tissue so it is in different places on each guy. So referencing the navel is the arbitrary place to measure.

Due to a lot of different ways to measure we caution that you ALWAYS use the measuring system of the company you will buy the kilt from. Never guess. Follow the instructions exactly.

And never use the measuring system from one kiltmaker to order a kilt from a different maker.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast