X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is this a old Old Stewart kilt?

This listing is interesting. There are various regiments there- what looks to be a 19th century Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders/93rd Foot Glengarry, a waistcoat in Black Watch/Sutherland tartan, and what looks to me like an old kilt in Old Stewart.

Perhaps Peter could estimate the age of the kilt? It looks old to me, possibly 19th century? But AFAIK the "vegetable colourings" weren't introduced until the early 20th century.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Sco...ty!92780!US!-1
    Last edited by OC Richard; 27th July 19 at 02:55 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    This listing is interesting. There are various regiments there- what looks to be a 19th century Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders/93rd Foot Glengarry, a waistcoat in Black Watch/Sutherland tartan, and what looks to me like an old kilt in Old Stewart.

Perhaps Peter could estimate the age of the kilt? It looks old to me, possibly 19th century? But AFAIK the "vegetable colourings" weren't introduced until the early 20th century.
    Yes, it's an Old Stewart kilt but it's not in Old Colours , the shades, which look like a type of Modern-Muted combination and may have been bespoke. This whole outfit is obviously a combination of various regimental pieces, not all Scottish, and I wonder whether the kilt is in fact civilian? It's hard to be certain from the photos but it looks as though it might be Saxony. My best guess is that it is c1900-1930.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that makes sense. Yes a civilian kilt.

It's strange, how there's the normal pleated area in the centre of the back, and then a differently-pleated area in between the back, and the front apron.

Last edited by OC Richard; 28th July 19 at 03:44 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Thanks, that makes sense. Yes a civilian kilt.

It's strange, how there's the normal pleated area in the centre of the back, and then a differently-pleated area in between the back, and the front apron.
    I noticed that too and can only think that it's because it's been altered at some pont and more material added in. I can't think why the pleating was not matched but I've seen this sort of thing before, albeit on an older kilt.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And they didn't even line the sett up with the rest of the kilt. Strange.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that's crazy. Looks like there are two added pleated areas, neither of which line up with the original kilt, and which don't line up with each other, giving three different orientations of the fabric.

Looks like there are only six pleats that line up with the aprons, four on one side and two on the other.

Then in the centre-back is a group four pleats that don't line up with the aprons and six original pleats, then a group of five pleats which neither line up with the group of six pleats nor the group of four pleats.

I don't understand how this could come about, unless the maker started with three separate pieces of cloth and joined them together wrongly. All the fabric seems to match nicely.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 28th July 19 at 04:05 AM.