X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Footwear with Utility Kilts

With a utility kilt, is it improper to not wear the kilt hose? Would it be disrespectful to wear anything other than a hose with a utility kilt? It seems to me that with a traditional kilt the hose would be the way to go. Yet, the utility kilt from my understanding is not truly a traditional kilt.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wboydsp View Post
    With a utility kilt, is it improper to not wear the kilt hose? Would it be disrespectful to wear anything other than a hose with a utility kilt? It seems to me that with a traditional kilt the hose would be the way to go. Yet, the utility kilt from my understanding is not truly a traditional kilt.
    You are quite correct, the utility kilt is in no way regarded as a traditional kilt. From what I understand, they were never intended to be. So I think there is considerably more latitude with attire choices compared to a traditional kilt. Just so you know, the utility kilt is a rare sight in Scotland, ....... I think that I have only seen three, perhaps four of that style here......so I am really not able to fairly advise on attire choices for that style of kilt.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say that wearing traditional kilt hose with a modern utility kilt is the exception, not the norm. It looks oddly out of place.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While not always the best place to look, the google machine search for images

https://www.google.com/search?q=util...w=1280&bih=649

mostly have guys wearing work/hiking boots and just athletic socks with their utility kilts.

I'd say that since utility kilts arent traditional, there is no need to wear anything traditional with them.

I usually just wear a pair of black converse (low or high tops - depending on mood). No socks showing with the low tops. White athletic socks pushed down to the tops with the high tops. Eventually I will pick up a pair of 1460 Doc Martens, but that will be more for winter.

How do people in your area wear kilts when they go out? What are they going out for? You can follow the local "dress code" for an idea. Around here (FL), its HOT, wearing kilt hose is HOT. I dont see much kilt hose here during the summer. Mostly sneaks/hiking shoes (not boots) and plain socks. I was out a couple weeks ago, and a dude was wearing his kilt with flip-flops. Hey good for him.

Wear whats comfy for you. You will be more confident in going out.

HTH.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MikeC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, fine men, for your replies. I believe that if I am wearing a tartan, regardless of what it is made out of, it holds tradition and I would hold to the traditional style of wearing it. However, I do see the utility kilt as a non-traditional kilt that affords more freedom. I was checking to see if others thought the same. As, I do seek to be respectfully kilted, if not perfectly traditional. To me, I see the line of seperation between traditional and non-traditional at the tartan.

Mel1721L is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sandals

At the moment with the temperature in the high 30's in Spain I'm wearing a 5.11 tactical duty kilt most days and even that's too hot to wear. I'm wearing it with sandals, anything else would be too uncomfortable, I'm not wearing a shirt of any kind even, but I do wear a sporran, and the pockets have been detached.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mel1721L For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1721L View Post
    At the moment with the temperature in the high 30's in Spain I'm wearing a 5.11 tactical duty kilt most days and even that's too hot to wear. I'm wearing it with sandals, anything else would be too uncomfortable, I'm not wearing a shirt of any kind even, but I do wear a sporran, and the pockets have been detached.
    I was watching videos on youtube. This guy mentioned that sporrans can help keep the kilt down in a breeze. I have, yet, to recieve my kilts. I ordered 3. I believe it will be 3 to 4 weeks at the soonest that I will recieve them. However, I bought a belt and sporran and decided that I would wear a sporran. I believe that it helps with the identification of it as a kilt and not a ladies skirt, and the idea there is something in front helping to weigh it down is also a bonus. I also prefer UK that have the straps on them. I like the look of the straps.

Mel1721L is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wboydsp View Post
    I was watching videos on youtube. This guy mentioned that sporrans can help keep the kilt down in a breeze. I have, yet, to recieve my kilts. I ordered 3. I believe it will be 3 to 4 weeks at the soonest that I will recieve them. However, I bought a belt and sporran and decided that I would wear a sporran. I believe that it helps with the identification of it as a kilt and not a ladies skirt, and the idea there is something in front helping to weigh it down is also a bonus. I also prefer UK that have the straps on them. I like the look of the straps.
    I only have poop bags in my sporren as I'm mostly walking the dogs when I'm wearing it, so the sporren is quite light, but the wind hasn't really been an issue. I also wear it to help identify it as a kilt, rather than a skirt, though to be honest, the Spanish wouldn't know the difference, but there are plenty of Brits here. I do have one with straps on, but I need to loose a couple of inches before I can get back into it. I don't get many comments but when I do, they're usually positive.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mel1721L For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1721L View Post
    I only have poop bags in my sporren as I'm mostly walking the dogs when I'm wearing it, so the sporren is quite light, but the wind hasn't really been an issue. I also wear it to help identify it as a kilt, rather than a skirt, though to be honest, the Spanish wouldn't know the difference, but there are plenty of Brits here. I do have one with straps on, but I need to loose a couple of inches before I can get back into it. I don't get many comments but when I do, they're usually positive.
    Yes, I noticed that the sporran does not have much weight to it. I bought a leather one. It is interesting, I have the belt, and sporran, just waiting on the kilts. The leather of the sporran probably has just enough weight to hold it down in a light breeze. Iowa gets its fair share of wind.

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear 5.11 Tactical kilts with kilt hose and a plaid (tartan) shirts, just reversing what I might do when wearing a traditional kilt. That is when wearing traditional I wear a solid colored shirt and near matching hose. So far I haven't worn scrunched socks and boots with the 5.11s. I ordinarily don't dress like a hip young guy, being a conservative in all ways old guy, so I haven't warmed to the scrunched hose and boots way of dress. It seems to me the boots and scrunched look would only be correct when worn with a tee shirt.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Benning Boy For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast