X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Hey! I Think We've Turned The Corner

Since starting to wear a kilt about a year ago, my wife has NOT been supportive, saying she would NEVER be seen out with me whilst I'm kilted. Usually if we go out shopping together I change into trousers. Today I thought what the hell, I'm keeping the kilt on! We just shopped normally and not a word about my being kilted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A slow but sure process, glad to hear that Joe
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FIRST OUR WIVES THEN THE WORLD

CHRIS

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am excited for you

All who have been here before I have can tell you what a journey it was for me. It was so painful for so long. Now My wife I and go everywhere together while I am kilted., The grocery, walmart, drug store, campaigning for the President,..

oh ... and of course the Mountains

Joy in my heart for you indeed. It will only get better from here on. If you or any of you knew the ordeal it was for my wife and I you would be VERY encouraged!

Right Guys? ..Some here know more then others.. Speak up and encourage this new Kilted friend!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing how many wives come around to their men in kilts, as soon as they see the admiring looks from other women.
    I've had more than one wife in my shop who seem to think it would embarase THEM when their husband is in a kilt.
    As soon as they see the looks from other women, they start to take on that "Oh yes, he's looking good, and he's MINE." attitude.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still working on my wife, Hopefully soon I will be right. I have still yet to go anywhere major alone while kilted so one step at a time. I think if I go out a couple of times and come back in one peice things would change. I am confident I will have good experience. Cheers Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad to hear your wife is becoming more accepting of your kilt. You know I never realised how many people don't like kilts until this forum. That is one of the main reasons I like it so much. You get to see the kilted world through so many eyes. My expiriences with being kilted are so very very different than many on here. I have never had what I could call a bad expirience, all of my family likes me in them, never had anything yelled at me from a car, no almost fights with drunkies, all my friends are cool with it even the ones I was sure wouldn't be, coworkers are cool, Had a couple of people call it a skirt, when they found me unphased by their comment they promptly called it a kilt then began the usual blah blah blah. Don't know what I am doing different than anyone else? But it sure seems like I might be judging by some of the text I find on this forum.

There is one comment that I hear more than any other and that is "You sure are making a bold statement" I don't feel I am making a statement I am just wearing what I find to be the most comfortable.

One other funny note: Be vary careful WHO you say "Good girls don't ask, Bad girls find out for themselves" for the record alot of bad girls walk around I don't use that one much anymore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just show sean connery in kilt. often quoted "sexiest man alive" will do the job. it works!

a shame that there is no film with him in kilt, or am i wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akaussie
    I am still working on my wife...
    Ultimately, the only way a reluctant wife comes around to the idea is to see the kilt in action. When they see the positive reactions, and how well you handle any negativity, their attitudes begin to sublimate.

... I have still yet to go anywhere major alone while kilted so one step at a time...
    Get used to going to local places and then expand outward from there. The responses are likely to be the same. The important thing is to make up your mind that you are going to do it. Making a point of going out often helps.

... I think if I go out a couple of times and come back in one peice things would change...
    As posted previously, if you show a bit of "man with a mission" attitude. Make that trip to the store or bank of prime importance. Mentaly make the kilt secondary to your mission. Chances are people will let you alone.

... I am confident I will have good experience....
    Being prepared for the standard stupid remarks helps as well. But confidence grows with experience out
    there... not standing at the living room looking out.
    The more you get out, the more you will enjoy it.

blu

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear of your success, my wife is growing used to my kilting.

Last night we dressed for a ceilidh my wife actually said I looked good, little by little, when they see we are serious!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast