X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mel1721L is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    You'll always get a warm kilted welcome here in Derbyshire if you are passing through, just PM me for directions with a few days warning!
    Thanks, I'll do that. The UK isn't motorhome friendly, so having a place to go could be very helpful. Also I don't know how difficult Brexit will make it returning to the EU on a semi permanent basis.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1721L View Post
    Thanks, I'll do that. The UK isn't motorhome friendly, so having a place to go could be very helpful. Also I don't know how difficult Brexit will make it returning to the EU on a semi permanent basis.
    I doubt that Brexit will be an issue, it's not in anyone's interest. Never was a problem prior to EEC/EU, just needed a passport, still do, although working may require a permit.

Regarding motorhomes, most campsites have spaces for motorhomes and there are quite a few in our area. Depending on size, some roads may be a challenge and I certainly would not recommend travelling on narrow single track roads, some of the passing places barely allow for 2 cars.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt that Brexit will be an issue, it's not in anyone's interest. Never was a problem prior to EEC/EU, just needed a passport, still do, although working may require a permit.

Regarding motorhomes, most campsites have spaces for motorhomes and there are quite a few in our area. Depending on size, some roads may be a challenge and I certainly would not recommend travelling on narrow single track roads, some of the passing places barely allow for 2 cars.
    Brexit is already an issue living in Spain, because I will have to renew my residency, which was previously indefinate and will be a pain in the backside. My pension will go down because of the weaker pound and so on.

I used to be in the Ambulance Service in the rural area of Dorset, so I know what you mean. I think I'll be looking either for a 24 ft RV or a Mercedes Sprinter conversion. The main needs is a toilet, shower and kitchen, plus room for the dogs.

Camp sites are out of the question. They are too expensive if you are living full time in a motor home. I will have solar panels and wild camp in isolated areas or the cheap/free areas they have in France, Germany and I'm not sure about other European countries. I have wild camped in Russia. Scotland is the only part of the UK where you can do iy legally. That's what I meant by being motorhome unfriendly.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mel1721L For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1721L View Post

Camp sites are out of the question. They are too expensive if you are living full time in a motor home. I will have solar panels and wild camp in isolated areas or the cheap/free areas they have in France, Germany and I'm not sure about other European countries. I have wild camped in Russia. Scotland is the only part of the UK where you can do iy legally. That's what I meant by being motorhome unfriendly.
    Here in Derbyshire Dales, overnight parking is allowed in certain car parks, but only if the vehicle is unattended. However, there is no such restriction on public roads and there are many places where a motorhome can park up without inconveniencing anyone. One near us is used quite regularly by a small campervan but could accomodate a larger one. It is not an issue I've considered before, but now I know the problem, I'll keep my eyes open for suitable spots.
    Last edited by tpa; 16th August 19 at 01:30 PM.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Derbyshire Dales, overnight parking is allowed in certain car parks, but only if the vehicle is unattended. However, there is no such restriction on public roads and there are many places where a motorhome can park up without inconveniencing anyone. One near us is used quite regularly by a small campervan but could accomodate a larger one. It is not an issue I've considered before, but now I know the problem, I'll keep my eyes open for suitablee spots.
    That's very kind of you. I think I may spend a bit more time in the UK to begin with than I'd originally planned.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mel1721L For This Useful Post:

tpa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12