X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporran chain/strap/hanger ?

Greetings, all

I've done some reading on other threads here about chains vs straps, and it seems both are "acceptable" but straps are lighter and easier on kilt fabric than possibly a chain with maybe sharp edges.

But how about the hangers that I've seen on Amazon and elsewhere that loop around the belt and have short pieces to connect to the sporran from one's belt front.

Has anyone experimented with those? Good or bad? Fashion faux pas or acceptable?

Many thanks for any advice available

David.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're a practical idea, and in a way go back to early sporrans which sometimes are worn high enough to look like they're suspended from a waist-belt.

But for us Traditional Highland Dress guys the problem is that these modern "hangers" didn't exist until recently.

It's another example of TCHD experimenting; who knows if they will take hold, or eventually be rejected by the tradition and fall out of use.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 29th July 19 at 04:35 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use sporran hangers exclusively. For MOS (men of substance) they are more flattering.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to get a set of sporran hangers. They're only $11 or $12 on Amazon, so there seems no great financial risk, and it seems both responses so far have been neutral or positive, so why not.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to D McD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm neither here nor there on them. If you're going for Traditional but not Historical or Contemporary, I'd be hard-pressed to say they fit. But if they end up looking less incongruous on you than a strap or chain, it may be a better overall option to look smarter, which I think is very traditional. Just an opinion.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a set of hangers almost exclusively. They more than fit the bill for casual and up through "smart day wear" as the phrase goes around here. I've even used them for evening wear. They look fine and disappear when hung on a jeans/pants belt under a vest (if the vest covers the belt) so to the eye you aren't breaking the vest/waistcoat and belt rule. If I'm going more formal I use a high quality chain with no burrs, but I'm moving to leather sporran straps as soon as I can.

As previously stated, if you've got a bit of a mid section they're much more flattering than a chain.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DustyBoots For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imbrius touches on an issue that I'm struggling to come up with a clear cogent approach towards.

As best I can tell, there is no such as thing as any clear consensus on what constitutes "traditional" or "historical" kilt wearing practice, and with a wide spread of contemporary styles, that's an amorphous term too.

The truth that some choose to obscure (or simply fail to appreciate) is that much/most of the concept of what we today know of as a kilt is a relatively modern construct, created from little or nothing as part of the early Victorian era's rediscovery of Scotland and desire to give it more mystery, heft and substance and to create elaborate rules and codes so as to provide a way of separating upper/middle/lower class in the new unfamiliar milieu of Scotland.

This is even more so true of tartan, and the totally invented notion of associating specific tartans with specific clans. It was perhaps the most brilliant bit of marketing in the 19th century, creating "brands" in an era before brands were even a thing.

I think that for most of us, these days, kilt choices and approaches boil down to first of all, things which clearly don't contravene fairly universal "rules" (such as which side the skirt front opens); and secondly, things which are most comfortable/convenient/functional. A weak third is things that don't make us laughed at.

My own "journey" into the wonderful world of kilts started with an intense desire to get things "right", but as I've dived ever deeper into the subject, I'm starting to realize that the concept of "right" does indeed deserve the scare quotes around it. In particular, I've very much appreciate the excellent commentary by Steve Ashton on the Kilt Kops which has relieved me of any remaining burden of concern.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f99/kilt-kops-68828/

Now, having said that, two final comments.

First, this was not intended as a disagreement with Imbrius at all. His comments are very helpful indeed and while there are few "wrongs" with kilt wearing, it is very helpful to understand what a particular style might be classified as and how generally acceptable it is. Thank you.

Second, I'm still a bit anxious when I first start walking around the central city area in (especially) Glasgow or somewhere far up in the Highlands, wanting to be sure I don't make an utter total fool of myself! I'm now the proud owner of a $20 eBay kilt ex Pakistan, not sure if it will withstand the withering scrutiny of Glaswegians!

David.

Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    I'm neither here nor there on them. If you're going for Traditional but not Historical or Contemporary, I'd be hard-pressed to say they fit. But if they end up looking less incongruous on you than a strap or chain, it may be a better overall option to look smarter, which I think is very traditional. Just an opinion.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to D McD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D McD View Post
    Second, I'm still a bit anxious when I first start walking around the central city area in (especially) Glasgow or somewhere far up in the Highlands, wanting to be sure I don't make an utter total fool of myself! I'm now the proud owner of a $20 eBay kilt ex Pakistan, not sure if it will withstand the withering scrutiny of Glaswegians!

David.
    Fear not, David. If you happen to see a Glaswegian in a kilt, he's likely wearing a $20 Pakistani-made kilt too!

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am one of those who is a big advocate of the "Sporran suspenders". I always keep three or four sets in my shop.

The problem is that guys who have a bit of a belly (Also known as Gentlemen of Substance) will often find that the sporran straps will droop under the belly.
    This causes the sporran to pucker and distort the aprons.

Another issue is that many guys wear their sporran way too low. The sporran is not a crotch protector.
    But if you must wear your sporran low or if you have a belly and the sporran pulls and distorts the aprons, sporran suspenders may be a viable and practical alternative.

Many sporran suspenders have multiple links of chain allowing you to custom adjust the length. Just nip a link with wire cutter pliers and remove as many as needed.

Some have quick release clips.

Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

17. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D McD View Post

As best I can tell, there is no such as thing as any clear consensus on what constitutes "traditional" or "historical" kilt wearing practice, and with a wide spread of contemporary styles, that's an amorphous term too.
    I am another who has a very hard time with how some use the word "Traditional". I have seen far too many ways to make a kilt for any one way to be called "The Traditional Kilt".

The way I look at is - Over the past couple hundred years there have been thousands of kilt makers. Each trying to find a way to have their product stand out, apart from the others.

Even the military kilts that many hold up as the epitome of a traditional kilt have undergone enormous changes and adaptations.

So I prefer to use the word "Iconic" when speaking of those kilt made -
    To be worn at the anatomical waist
    Which include the interfacing and stabilizer that is built into the inside of this style and hidden by the inner liner.

The word "Contemporary" is actually one that I originally coined but is now being used willy nilly. A Contemporary kilt is defined as one made similarly to an iconic one. It will have all the internal construction but which may be modified with The DFF&P difference.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=92842

A kilt made to look on the outside similar to an iconic kilt - but which omits the internal elements i call "A Casual Style" kilt. One good example I use of a Casual Style Kilt is a USA Kilts Semi-Trad model.
    A kilt made with construction similar to how blue jeans is made is called a MUG or utility style. These are the Utilitakilt and its clones.
    A kilt that is made for Highland Games heavy event athletes, or for wearing to the pub where you expect to spill a beer on them, I call "Sport style" or "Pub Kilts". A "Sport Kilts" brand garment and the Pakistani style are good examples of the Sport or Pub styles.

I'm also one of those who dislikes any skirt like garment made from Tartan fabric, a kilt. To me it is the inner construction that defines a kilt. A garment made like a ladies skirt, from Tartan would properly be called a "Ladies Tartan pleated skirt".

Barb Tewksbury calls the kilts she makes "Traditional". So if I am referring to a kilt made in accordance with "The Art of Kiltmaking" I will use a Capital "T". A Tewksbury kilt is the only one I know of where I will say a Traditional kilt. That is because that is the way she defines what she makes.

If I am referring to the accessories that are worn with the kilt, or the fashion of the wearer, I will use a small "t". Such as "I wear my kilt in the traditional manner". And that is really up to the personal fashion sense of the wearer to define.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

19. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast