X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had my kilts dry cleaned for decades. Luckily I found a cleaner who does several pipe bands in the area and knows his way around a kilt. I've never had to to anything but take it to him. I would much rather have the dirt, grease and sweat removed from the wool.

Today you need to check the ingredients because some cans labeled "mink oil" don't contain it any more. So you have to look around for the real thing.
    But I have been using mink oil on my Bean Maine Boots for a very long time and like the way it keeps the leather parts soft. I have also used it on an elk skin sporran I have with good results. But it does darken the leather a bit.

CTB
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mink oil on my sporran about once every other year. It does darken the leather, so spot check it first. It waterproofs the leather. To keep my kilt straps nice, and my sporran/shoes/boots/wife's purses/leather couch/shoulder bag/all other leather products, I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WOC2D6EV&psc=1

I understand that Skidmore makes a water repellant version now, but I haven't tried it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12