X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had my kilts dry cleaned for decades. Luckily I found a cleaner who does several pipe bands in the area and knows his way around a kilt. I've never had to to anything but take it to him. I would much rather have the dirt, grease and sweat removed from the wool.

Today you need to check the ingredients because some cans labeled "mink oil" don't contain it any more. So you have to look around for the real thing.
    But I have been using mink oil on my Bean Maine Boots for a very long time and like the way it keeps the leather parts soft. I have also used it on an elk skin sporran I have with good results. But it does darken the leather a bit.

CTB
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mink oil on my sporran about once every other year. It does darken the leather, so spot check it first. It waterproofs the leather. To keep my kilt straps nice, and my sporran/shoes/boots/wife's purses/leather couch/shoulder bag/all other leather products, I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WOC2D6EV&psc=1

I understand that Skidmore makes a water repellant version now, but I haven't tried it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the other hand...

I agree wholeheartedly with the sage counsel of our illustrious leader...today's Dry Cleaners are safe for our modern kilt fabrics.

However....my Dear Departed Dad always advised, "There's but two times in a Scotsman's life when his kilt bears a professional cleaning. The day before he gets married in it; and, the day before he gets buried in it...but, that second one's a great waste of money!" :^)

David

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Digger1 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I have to admit to never having heard of Mink Oil and had to look it up. Seems like it's much more or a North American thing as strict EU regulations governing the disposal of carcasses meaning that almost all mink carcasses, along with the fat, are turned into bio-fuel.

I've always used a good shoe polish and never had a problem. I only apply to the treated side of the straps which is the outside and so not in contact with the material itself.

Raises an interesting question about what is the best material to keep older sporran leather soft?
    For all leather goods I swear by Huberd's, the shoe grease is the best leather conditioner and waterproofer I've ever used. I've used it to soften very stiff leathers as well with success, but they have conditioners and oils specifically for that as well that may work even better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I have to admit to never having heard of Mink Oil and had to look it up. Seems like it's much more or a North American thing as strict EU regulations governing the disposal of carcasses meaning that almost all mink carcasses, along with the fat, are turned into bio-fuel.

I've always used a good shoe polish and never had a problem. I only apply to the treated side of the straps which is the outside and so not in contact with the material itself.

Raises an interesting question about what is the best material to keep older sporran leather soft?
    When I was in UK I used Neats Foot oil. Is that still available?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neatsfoot Oil

I've found it in several well-stocked hardware stores.

David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12