X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Cheap PV kilt - probably not.

I had never worn a kilt although my cousins, with whom I lived for a short time in my childhood, all used to wear them to church on Sunday (and to Boy Scouts, as I remember). My father gave his only kilt away before I was born. After WW2 ended and he was demobbed, he gave the kilt to his great army friend a Canadian of Scottish extraction who lived in Vancouver. Sadly, they never met again; he must have been a good friend to be given my dad’s only, presumably expensive, kilt! In any case, what I am trying to say is that there wasn’t a great tradition of kilt wearing in my family.

At some point, I discovered what the original kilt was and how it was worn and I thought that if ever I ‘needed’ to wear a kilt that was what I would wear and resolved that one day I ought to try it. I met a guy who was wearing one when I went to a fiddling weekend school with Charlie Mckerron at the Gaelic College at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig. It was an impressive garment. This lad was learning to speak Gaelic by almost total immersion for (I think) 6 months; he called his kilt a “Feileadh”, the Feileadh Mòr.

Recently, someone exclaimed their disbelief that I had never worn a kilt so I thought to myself it was time to try the Feileadh but after reading up on it, I decided that it was too unwieldy for me to the extent that I was unlikely to ever wear it except once to try it out.

However, I had become intrigued by the ordinary, conventional kilt and resolved to buy a relatively cheap PV kilt to find out if I liked it. I have bought one but, although it has some admirable qualities, I don’t think it fits me very well and I don’t think I will ever wear it - but that’s another story.

John
    Last edited by Nemuragh; 1st August 19 at 01:13 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Nemuragh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Western Canada 🇨🇦!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, and some explanation...

Welcome John!!!

Sorry to hear your kilt was sized correctly for you. What about it doesn't "fit" correctly? Is it too long? Is the waist the wrong size?

Larry
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to lschwartz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lschwartz View Post
    Welcome John!!!

Sorry to hear your kilt was sized correctly for you. What about it doesn't "fit" correctly? Is it too long? Is the waist the wrong size?

Larry
    Hi,

Thanks, Larry.

I think the waist is probably too small. I took my own waist measurement a number of times and it seemed to be about 31”. The kilt is supposed to be 30-32 (the smallest size on offer from this seller). However, even with the buckles at their tightest, the back seems to drop down. I’ve been on a lo-carb diet for 3 years and my backside is more or less flat; I think there’s nothing there for the kilt to hang on and the back is heavy, as you will know. It turns out that if I cinch the tape measure tighter (really quite tight) I can get a measurement of 29”. I didn’t expect that I would need to wear the kilt so tightly. This is beyond what I can do with the buckles, incidentally. I’m not very taken with the way the thing hangs, either. It’s a bit stage curtainy.

Thanks for asking,

John
    Last edited by Nemuragh; 1st August 19 at 10:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once shrank to 145 lbs and my kilt would not stay on, but I'm sure a made to measure garment of quality will delight you and you will be very comfortable.
    Welcome to the forum.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to John_Carrick For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from San Diego, USA.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Carrick View Post
    I once shrank to 145 lbs and my kilt would not stay on, but I'm sure a made to measure garment of quality will delight you and you will be very comfortable.
    I hope you were training for a triathlon to lose so much weight. Your advice on a quality kilt is correct, and once experienced, changes all other decisions about kilt purchases.
    Stay healthy my friend. Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from the West of California to the West of Scotland!

PV off the peg kilts are a bit tricky with the sizing. I've found the same slide down the back and they are not really fitted to my measurements. I wore one for outdoor work and hiking until I got better wool and polyviscose kilts that fit. Worth it!

Hope you can find something that works for you to "get kilted"!

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is nothing like a kilt that is made for you, off the peg will never match the quality or fit. My first kilt was my Dad's old kilt, wool made in Aberdeen in 1950, so I know how special a garment like that can be, it's a shame that you don't have it now. I'd say save up and purchase a bespoke kilt, look to those that advertise here they are all quality firms, there are many great people out there making kilts, one of the wonderful parts of the experience is getting to know the people or person who is making your kilt these friendships can last a lifetime.

18. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast