X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Kilts4Less kilt has around 9 yards of wool, but with no cut out on the pleats was really bulky and heavy, though still very good value for money (£99). It was advertised as ex-hire, but I am fairly sure it was new, though it did have to be hemmed to meet my length requirements. I took it apart and cut out some of the material from the pleats but it is still a lot of kilt on a 32"waist.
    Anyone considering making kilt would struggle to buy the material for the cost of one of their kilts and i'm almost regretting having cut out the pleats as I could probably have made a couple of box pleated ones out of the material.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was persuaded by Kilts4lessto pay an extra £75 to get a new 8 yard kilt (Buchanan).

The front apron was way too narrow and not centred on the sett and there was a long flat bit between the apron and the start of the pleats. The back of the kilt pleats and were OK; visible stitching which is reasonable at that price. It was a shame that eight yards of good material were not better tailored; it would not have cost them any more to make the kilt properly.

They offered to make a new kilt for me but I opted for a refund. I would still like a Buchanan kilt and it appears to be an expensive tartan elsewhere.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so you know, kilts4less is one of a surprising number of firms in the Glasgow area owned by Pauline Sweeney:

West Highland Kilts LTD
    Clan Alba Products LTD
    Alba Highland Dress LTD
    Thistle Kilts LTD
    Kilts4Less LTD

She also uses tartan4less and exhirekilts as additional Ebay names.

All of the products I've seen from these firms have been Pakistani, which is fine as long as you know what you're getting. You do pay a premium over what you would pay buying them directly from the Pakistani firms.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th January 20 at 07:10 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

All of the products I've seen from these firms have been Pakistani, ...
    Your evidence for this is......?

Alan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilts4less kilts are made by Glenisla Kilts - I have two. The firm doesn't look very "pakistani" to me! And they've got a sale on just now.
    https://www.facebook.com/glenislakiltsltd
    https://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/bu...rade-1-3809246
    https://www.kilts4less.com/?gclid=EA...SAAEgIk5fD_BwE

Alan

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several items from them and all are perfect. Good service too. In particular, I needed a new Argyle swiftly and went for one of their 'ex-hire' range as funds were tight (aren't they always) It was part of a bigger order and the jacket was unfortunately omitted from the package. On phoning, I was told to keep the (now spare) waistcoat/vest with their compliments and another full set arrived at 0900 the following morning. If it was 'ex-hire', it had only been on a hangar - immaculate! And made in Scotland. Their Harris Tweed sets are a real steal too.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My memory is a little foggy (I had bigger fish to fry at the time) but I am pretty certain when I got married I used kilts4less to get a charcoal Argyll and vest for my little brother as a week before the wedding he informed me that his had apparently shrunk in the wardrobe (or something like that).

Anyway - great service, good advise on sizing (I think they even sent 2 sizes and asked him to send back the one he didn't want - as time was not on our side - we only paid for one). Happy with the product and very good value for money.

I also recently bit the bullet on a Harris tweed Argyll and vest from kilts4less ebay shop (this set is not listed on their main website). It arrived today. Excellent product, exceptionally well packaged and exceptionally quick delivery to Estonia. I will post some pics when time permits.

My only grumble - I have been scoping out a new tweed jacket for about a year now (since I got my new "red" kilt) - but it never rains but it pours. I had some near wins on ebay - missed one by 2 seconds last week - and had this one from kilts4less on the back burner for some months now. As they were down to the last one in my size I decided to go for it. The next day not one, not two but three good looking jackets all in my size popped up on ebay - 2 in Harris tweed (one blue, one brown) and another one from MacCalls (similar to my last purchase - but a darker green). Talk about waiting for the bus to come. Spoilt for choice - or I would have been had I the budget and wardrobe space. Still I am tempted by that blue number though...
    Last edited by Tomo; 22nd January 20 at 09:06 AM. Reason: typos (I still may have missed some)

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    I have several items from them and all are perfect. Good service too. In particular, I needed a new Argyle swiftly and went for one of their 'ex-hire' range as funds were tight (aren't they always) It was part of a bigger order and the jacket was unfortunately omitted from the package. On phoning, I was told to keep the (now spare) waistcoat/vest with their compliments and another full set arrived at 0900 the following morning. If it was 'ex-hire', it had only been on a hangar - immaculate! And made in Scotland. Their Harris Tweed sets are a real steal too.
    Your argyle says “made in Scotland” on it?

The tweeds do look like a good deal. They have a green one with a traditional cut that I like.

The only problem is that, for us in the US, shipping is steep. Not a problem initially but sending it back if it’s not the right fit gets painful.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    My memory is a little foggy (I had bigger fish to fry at the time) but I am pretty certain when I got married I used kilts4less to get a charcoal Argyll and vest for my little brother as a week before the wedding he informed me that his had apparently shrunk in the wardrobe (or something like that).

Anyway - great service, good advise on sizing (I think they even sent 2 sizes and asked him to send back the one he didn't want - as time was not on our side - we only paid for one). Happy with the product and very good value for money.

I also recently bit the bullet on a Harris tweed Argyll and vest from kilts4less ebay shop (this set is not listed on their main website). It arrived today. Excellent product, exceptionally well packaged and exceptionally quick delivery to Estonia. I will post some pics when time permits.

My only grumble - I have been scoping out a new tweed jacket for about a year now (since I got my new "red" kilt) - but in never rains but it pours. I had some near wins on ebay - missed one by 2 seconds last week - and had this one from kilts4less on the back burner for some months now. As they were down to the last one in my size I decided to go for it. The next day not one, not two but three good looking jackets all in my size popped up on ebay - 2 in Harris tweed (one blue, one brown) and another one from MacCalls (similar to my last purchase - but a darker green). Talk about waiting for the bus to come. Spoilt for choice - or I would have been had I the budget and wardrobe space. Still I am temped by that blue number though...
    If you get one I would appreciate pictures. The ones on the website leave a lot to be desired as far as what they would look like in “real life” and some are clearly photoshopped.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    Kilts4less kilts are made by Glenisla Kilts - I have two. The firm doesn't look very "pakistani" to me! And they've got a sale on just now.
    https://www.facebook.com/glenislakiltsltd
    https://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/bu...rade-1-3809246
    https://www.kilts4less.com/?gclid=EA...SAAEgIk5fD_BwE

Alan
    well, the two I've seen with my own eyes were branded "Clan Alba" and were shockingly bad. Thin, poor quality wool with a plain weave and shoddy construction details such as no thickness relief in the fell, noticeably uneven machine hemming visible on both sides, noticeably visible uneven pleating in the fell, and pressing like it was done by a one armed blind man in a hurricane. Both looked pretty much exactly like the 30 dollar Pakistani kilt-shaped-objects I've seen before.

I've never seen a jacket from them so I can't comment there, but I'd be extremely wary of purchasing a kilt from them sight unseen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast