X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My New Kilt from USA Kilts

It took me a while to finally post this, but here it is.

My new Premier 8 yard wool kilt in the Modern Clergy Tartan. I picked it up at USA Kilts on July 15. Sadly, it has been too darned hot here in the Philly area to wear it! I'm waiting for the first days when the temps are under 90 degrees so I can finally wear it to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good!

I will let others who know more chime in, and this is just me nit picking, but it looks like both the kilt and your hose are a bit high. The bottom of the kilt should be about mid-knee, and the top of the hose, maybe two fingers lower than they are now. you want a nice skin break between the bottom of the kilt and hose.

But still looking good!

There is no reason not to wear a wool kilt in the heat. I have two 8yrd 16oz kilts that i wear here in Florida, and its always over 90. I find them just as cool as shorts. Of course i am also not wearing hose, usually just t-shirt, kilt, and sneakers. But i did go to a black tie wedding in VA this past June. Wool kilt, Prince Charlie, vest, wool hose, the whole thing. It was an outdoors ceremony in the afternoon, it was easily 90+. All the guys in tuxes were sweating there b*lls off, but not me. Give it a try.

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You look great, Tom!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kilt ends at just about the right spot. The hose tops are pulled up just a wee bit high. Lower them about 1".

Nice looking and fitting kilt!
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The place you chose to keep the top of your hose is person specific. If your calves are small, hose feel like they are always slipping down. Wearing them higher feels better. Garters that are too tight just don't feel comfortable for an extended period.

Our bigger calf/leg members complain about hose not being large enough to cover the leg at a resonable height.

I think you will figure your specific top-line in due time.

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As usual, I'll take the other side. The hotter it is, the happier I am I'm in a kilt, rather than something with legs. As well as you, I'm more often
    than not in clergy tartan. To my knowledge, there is no rule about mid-knee, rather, higher has been preferred. Recently I have seen the
    mid and lower put forth, but I think it comes from hire shops. No laws, but many photos of experienced Highland wearers reveals much
    or all of the knee. Personal choice enters the door with heavy feet. I was taught hose turnover no closer than three fingers to the kneecap,
    many wear slightly lower. Again, more time in the kilt and more personal exposure to others in kilts in the same room will help you decide
    for yourself what you like.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom Fiddles,

First off , do you fiddle? It is one of my favourite instruments.

Next, if you wish to wear your hose lower you can double or 'w' fold them . I always liked the clergy tartan, but I think it would burst into flames if I were to strap one on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bodhran4me - yes I am a fiddler. I play traditional Scottish and Irish fiddle - and in anticipation of an impending move to Cape Breton Nova Scotia, I have been trying to learn more of the Cape Breton style tunes.

I purchased my first kilt in Edinburgh in 1996. I had my Ancient Clergy kilt made by Celtic Crafters who then shipped it to me at home in the USA. I got to wear it for the first time at the Nevada Day Parade in Carson City, Nevada that year.

Since then, I wear a kilt regularly for worship services, when I have officiated at weddings and at a few funerals. Of course on many other occasions when I am playing a gig with my band or busking on a street corner in Philadelphia, I am kilted. And I generally get to 3 or Highland Games every year.

About 2 years ago I had the good people at USA Kilts make a Semi Traditional Kilt for me in the Ancient Mackay tartan for more casual attire.

This year I finally decided to got ahead and order a new kilt, and in the end chose to go with the Modern Clergy tartan. And of course I had USA Kilts make this one for me.

What I have found through the years is that for me, the kilt feels right when it is at the natural waist and falls to about the mid knee. And Tarheel's observation about wearing the kilt hose higher is actually the most comfortable for me.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tom Fiddles For This Useful Post: