X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    The less expensive hanger chains are the culprit. They aren't as smoothed and polished, and more importantly, the links aren't soldered shut unlike the better quality examples. Those slightly open link gaps are usually what snags and causes the pilling of the fabric surface.
    I think you’ve got it dead right.

John

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nemuragh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can have any two of price, quality, or service.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemuragh View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. It’s a long time since I studied organic chemistry and I was assuming that polyester and acrylic referred to the same (class of) polymer. So, this is not a PV fabric despite being described as such! Actually, it was described as ‘polyviscose’. I wish I had checked that out before this although I couldn’t know until I saw the label.

John
    I checked the fine print before I ordered (after reading a lot here and buying a wool kilt first). It was listed as poly-acetate, and it's held up pretty well as my yard-work, outdoor, clean the garage kilt. It doesn't seem like an acrylic kilt I owned for 2 or 3 months before selling, but I suppose it could be. I think just consider it a bargain kilt that doesn't need special care, and you'll be happier than sweating that it's not real poly-viscose.

I don't wear my "The Kilt" much now that I have a USA kilts PV casual for hiking and knock about.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At all of our local Highland Games there are sellers with tables piled high with those cheap Pakistani kilts.

They always have those labels with the green Celtic knotwork border. Many have the deceptive "designed in Scotland" bit.

Personally I have no interest in wearing such kilts, even for rugby etc.

I bought a 16oz all-wool kilt some years ago- it still looks new- and I expect it to last me the rest of my life.

Yes indeed many of the Pakistani-made sporrans and sporran chains have sharp burrs on the reverse, which can catch at the kilt fabric.

There's a local Pipe Band who have very nice 16oz Scottish-made kilts, but who laid aside their old Scottish-made sporrans for new cheap sporrans made in Pakistan. Within a year or two many of their kilts had pulls and tears in front. It turns out that the reverse of the sporrans had quite sharp metal burrs at the back side corners of the cantles and/or the clips that attached the sporran chains to the D-rings on the sporrans were razor-sharp.

Legitimate UK and North American sporran chains are smooth as glass on the reverse.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 4th August 19 at 06:09 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12