X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PV Kilt - New kilt already showing wear

In the newbie section, I mentioned that I had bought an inexpensive PV kilt as an experiment. Already, despite only having the thing a few days and only having worn it to try it out, there seems to be wear on the surface of the fabric at the waist (presumably from the sporran chain). Does it seem likely that this is a genuine PV material?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6EF6CEB7-0248-4F33-9481-58A4A254B030.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	37202

If the image has loaded this is a view of the top left corner of the front apron.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C68F287B-AB93-4F10-979E-617091D81F25.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	37203

Supposedly, this is PV. It was inexpensive but more costly than those described as ‘acrylic’.

What do folks think?

John

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nemuragh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont know about how a PV kilt wears, as mine is only a month old, and i dont wear a sporran with it, but my acrylic kilt took years of abuse with a sporran before I got that kind of wear.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To clear up a very common misunderstanding. P/V stands for Polyester/Viscose. Viscose is the British term for Rayon. So P/V would denote a fabric which is a blend of Polyester and Rayon fibers.

The kilt in the photos, while commonly sold and referred to as P/V is, in fact, made from a blend of Rayon and Acetate fibers.

It seems that since the introduction of the true P/V that some makers began to use the term for almost any synthetic fabric. I have a sample kilt in my shop which is also sold using the term P/V when if fact the label says it contains 100% Acrylic wool. (Whatever that means. Plastic sheep perhaps.)
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 3rd August 19 at 12:20 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

craigclan is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wear and tear

I have knock around kilt made by the same company . Have had it for years and beaten the crap out of it . No wear and tear on mine . Its held up very well
    live for god and you shall have life

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another common misunderstanding.

The green and yellow label you will find inside many kilts made is Sailkot Pakistan is not specific to any one maker or company.

There are hundreds of small companies in just this one city and they all seem to use the same green and yellow label.

Here is just one variation on the same label.

Notice please that nowhere on this label does it state where the kilt was made or where the fabric was woven.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

craigclan is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool I learned something new . Thanks . I assumed it was an actually manufacturer using the tag not multiple ones
    live for god and you shall have life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    To clear up a very common misunderstanding. P/V stands for Polyester/Viscose. Viscose is the British term for Rayon. So P/V would denote a fabric which is a blend of Polyester and Rayon fibers.

The kilt in the photos, while commonly sold and referred to as P/V is, in fact, made from a blend of Rayon and Acetate fibers.
    Thanks for pointing that out. It’s a long time since I studied organic chemistry and I was assuming that polyester and acrylic referred to the same (class of) polymer. So, this is not a PV fabric despite being described as such! Actually, it was described as ‘polyviscose’. I wish I had checked that out before this although I couldn’t know until I saw the label.

John

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nemuragh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyhoo,

A quick and easy way to minimize the wear on your kilt is to use leather or other fiber straps in place of the metal chains. The latter can potentially cause undo wear and tear on even a heavy weight wool tank of a kilt.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Anyhoo,

A quick and easy way to minimize the wear on your kilt is to use leather or other fiber straps in place of the metal chains. The latter can potentially cause undo wear and tear on even a heavy weight wool tank of a kilt.
    Thanks, I had already seen mention of this and had thought to make a square knot sinnet, in an appropriate yarn, to enclose the chain (or, even, replace the chain). However, I didn’t expect to see such wear after just trying the kilt on a few times

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The less expensive hanger chains are the culprit. They aren't as smoothed and polished, and more importantly, the links aren't soldered shut unlike the better quality examples. Those slightly open link gaps are usually what snags and causes the pilling of the fabric surface.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast