X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovat green

Quote Originally Posted by gsmacleod View Post
    I have a charcoal tweed that I often wear for dressier (not formal) events:

Attachment 37210

I also have a lovat green tweed that I wouldn't hesitate to wear to a wedding:

Attachment 37211

Ultimately, I bought the charcoal first as I got a good deal and figured it would cover most everything I would need. Now I lean more toward the green (or one of my other jackets).

Shane
    i like the Lovat green and think it looks great on every one but me. Always been partial to dark, earthy and subdued colours.
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    That sounds like it would be appropriate for any event up to Black Tie.
    So, white shirt black straight tie for events as required and tattersall shirt or equivalent with regimental or like tie for smart daily wear, shoes, hose and sporran per ones choice.

BBSBA for more formal day events or maybe a poor mans black tie?
    Last edited by Jacques; 5th August 19 at 01:47 PM. Reason: repetitive

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jacques For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buttons

Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    You might be overthinking this a tad. If you think the silver buttons too much go for a dark tweed instead something like this:

One thing I will say about the Black Barathea Argyll with Silver Buttons is that in over a decade of steady kilt wear I did not need one as I had the set pictured above, I did however purchase one for my nephew's wedding because I thought the tweed too hot. Looking at the photo below I can not think that the buttons would be an issue for anyone.

i can see your point regarding the buttons. They don't seem to stand out so much in a real life photo as they do in a studio setting for an online catalog or vendor website. And yes, i probably am overthinking this. When something interests me i often look for the little details that don't exist.
    Last edited by Jacques; 5th August 19 at 02:02 PM.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jacques For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    With THCD in mind, of the three jacket patterns; Argyll, Braemar or Craill, which is the more widely accepted?
    The cuffs matter not a whit. What do you like? Buy them and wear them. By the way - vendors often disagree on what to call them, so be sure that you buy from their pictures.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Padre

Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    The cuffs matter not a whit. What do you like? Buy them and wear them. By the way - vendors often disagree on what to call them, so be sure that you buy from their pictures.
    This was one of the lingering questions i dearly wanted answered. And yes, i have noticed the differences from various online vendors. i recall a thread on that very subject some time ago from Steve.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jacques For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    i like the Lovat green and think it looks great on every one but me. Always been partial to dark, earthy and subdued colours.
    Have you tried a lovat green in person? I ask because greens are not often part of my wardrobe and I was hesitant but rolled the dice. Turns out, I like it way more than I thought I would.

However, I always have my eyes open for a brown kilt jacket of some sort; that's the one real hole on my closet.

Shane

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmacleod View Post
    Have you tried a lovat green in person? I ask because greens are not often part of my wardrobe and I was hesitant but rolled the dice. Turns out, I like it way more than I thought I would.

However, I always have my eyes open for a brown kilt jacket of some sort; that's the one real hole on my closet.

Shane
    No, i have not. It's a bit like never having tried asparagus but still knowing i would not like it. Awaiting my dark green (olive) tweed Argyll to arrive before making any more purchases. If i like the quality, colour and fit i was planning on ordering the BBSBA or a brown tweed jacket and vest, possibly in a crail pattern.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jacques For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a black barathea jacket which I picked up at a good price, though I wasn't really thrilled with the chrome buttons. I toned it down by switching them for the black version of the staghorn-style buttons that you see on a lot of kilt jackets. You can buy them in sets from sellers on eBay. Works for me.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a historical note, while nowadays black Barathea kilt jackets, regardless of cut (Coatee, Argyll, Doublet, Montrose, etc) always seem to come with the silver square buttons, it wasn't always so.

In Victorian times those square silver buttons (and round ones) existed but weren't universal.

It surprises me to see, over and over, in Victorian images (photos and paintings) men in quite elaborate Highland outfits with belts, buckles, plaids, dirks, and even pistols, worn with the plainest imaginable jackets, black or dark blue with matching buttons.

I myself wouldn't hesitate to take a black Barathea kilt jacket (full Argyll or a plain version) and replace the gaudy silver buttons with matching black ones, ordinary round black buttons from an ordinary fabric shop. It might produce the ideal jacket for the look you are envisioning.

Though true that the charcoal tweed kilt jacket with horn buttons also can serve that purpose (a somber dark outfit).
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As there are no rules, where I live, that Black is required at funerals. This is the outfit I wore to the last funeral I attended.

When you get to my age and seem to be attending more and more funerals you realize that it is not how you are dressed - but how well you remember and honor those who have passed.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 8th August 19 at 03:41 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

19. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast