X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many Thanks

Thank - you all for such sage advice. After reading all of your helpful replies and some continued searching on the forum (discovered a thread from 2012 with regards to kilt funeral wear) i am considering the purchase of a bespoke BBSBA with the option to switch buttons. i have also decided that prior to this purchase i will be looking for a black or navy two or three piece suit to wear for more somber occasions. Speaking with my 82 year old neighbour and good friend this morning who has herself attended three funerals since January; we discussed my intention to wear a kilt and my decision to wear a more modest suit with pants for certain church events. She told me it has been her experience of late that most people don't dress up at all for many church events and further mentioned regardless of my choice to wear a kilt or saxon suit, i would most likely be the second best dressed in the room.

Thanks much

Jacques
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jacques:

At my church on the Oneida Indian reservation near Green Bay, I have officiated at 70 funerals in the past three years, and I would agree completely with your neighbor.

Most people who attend funerals at Holy Apostles are in their one dress shirt and dark pants, or just in jeans or basketball shorts like they wear every day. Like most people in my life, except for the consultants I work with in my "day job," they simply do not own dressy clothes at all. The only people wearing suits are the funeral home staff and a couple of the tribal council members who regularly dress more formally.

That's one reason that I recommend exploring the world of tweed jackets for a kilt outfit. No one else is likely even to be wearing a dark suit at all, so a black Argyll jacket is really going to be noticeable. I mean, a kilt outfit is noticeable anyway, so why not be noticed for handsome colors that accentuate the tartan?

Anyway, sounds like you're on track with a solution that will work for you, with good advice from neighbors far and near.

Rodger

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    She told me it has been her experience of late that most people don't dress up at all for many church events and further mentioned regardless of my choice to wear a kilt or saxon suit, i would most likely be the second best dressed in the room.
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to revdpatience For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting, Reverend.

Here in Southern California people do tend to dress up for funerals, and black/dark suits are in the majority.

Due to the warm weather some will be in dark slacks, dressy shirts, and ties.

But there's always The Guy who shows up wearing an Aloha shirt, shorts, and zorries.

BTW for many men here the dressiest they get is wearing a black slacks and a black sport coat over a black t-shirt. Stylish sunglasses are required.

As a piper playing for funerals I wear the black Argyll with silver buttons etc. But then again the piper and the Priest are usually the dressiest men there.

Last edited by OC Richard; 10th August 19 at 05:31 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always been of two minds with regard to kilts and funerals. If the family were au fait with the kilt, I don't see a problem. But around here, most aren't. So I tend to opt for a dark saxon suit for funerals instead so as not to stand out.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilt worn to a wedding in the Highlands:

Kilt worn to a funeral in the Highlands:

Kilt worn to a baptism in the Highlands:

Last edited by davidlpope; 13th August 19 at 02:52 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An excellent point and perfectly illustrated!

As Jock often says, we tend to make too much fuss over these matters.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123