X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    Sorry for the dumb questions.
    There's no dumb questions! It's a choice I have made to not wear animal products to the best of my ability. I don't eat them, I don't wear them. Truthfully the treatment of animals in North America is frightening and I try to not contribute to it. I don't like the idea of an animal dying for my needs. That said I was confronted recently with the option for a First Nations (my wife is Ojibwe) piece of beaded jewelry that was made by a woman who used only animals that had died from natural causes. I had not been given that kind of choice before. It was a piece made with porcupine quills from an animal she had found dead. In the end we did purchase it as the story that came with it spoke to honouring the animal, the animal not dying for the jewelry but rather the jewelry supporting the woman who made it, etc etc. But if it's just "yeah it's leather man, because leather is traditional and cool" than no, I don't participate.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Adoom For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats respectable.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MikeC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember hearing of some lass in Scotland who makes 'vegan' sporrans using roadkill and natural causes animals. Actually there are a couple, Kate Macpherson and Emma Willats.
    Some of the faux fur and pleather do not seem bad, but I do not have any first hand experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, with the event in the rearview, I can say...I didn't get a decent picture of the final outfit! The evening was a very busy affair with little time for pics or poses. I will say "thank you" to the forum however for your support. In the end this is how it went down...you will have to paint your own image in your mind.

My apparel:
    Hamilton Tartan kilt. Grey vest (6 button..all I could find with more than 3 buttons). Black hose. Black vegan Doc Martin pull-ons. Grey shirt. Hamilton tartan tie. Silver tie clip from my Grandad (passed). Tiny flower lapel pin from my Nan (passed). No sporran, no belt, but I don't think it deterred from the overall appearance.

Son 1: Wore a matching tie to my kilt with his own outfit.
    Son 2: Wore a matching kilt to my kilt.

It was a great event, we encouraged others to "come kilted", and to my surprise my father showed up in a kilt!

If I manage to find a pic from someone else I will pass it along.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Adoom For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12