X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working on an outfit for a semi-formal occasion

My wife and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary by renewing our vows. She actually suggested that I wear a kilt, but asked for something grey or black. So I came up with a "Hamilton" grey kilt. It's a summer event, in a barn, (so no AC and lots of straw) so I am not wearing a jacket (by her request as well). I found a vest that I think works okay with the kilt. It's a 6 button, which is a tad long, but at the same time it hides a bit of my, errrr, "girth".

Now I am looking for footwear and a new sporran. Unfortunately (for me) I need them both to be synthetic (vegan) which is proving more difficult than anything at this point.

Here's my progress so far....IMG_1049.JPG
    Last edited by Adoom; 6th August 19 at 12:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know i have seen a vegan sporran, but sorry I dont remember where.

For footwear, I am sure there are plenty of vegan options. The one that comes to mind first are a pair of vegan 1461 Doc Martens shoes or 1460 boots. Not cheap, and not gillie brogues, but i think they would do, plus you can wear them other times, and personally i think 1460s go great with a kilt.

I am sure I will be corrected, but i tend to bend the traditional.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure of the quality but you could look here:

http://www.vegetariansporran.com/dress-sporrans.html

I think you look great so far BTW. Good for you for seeking out a vegan option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, small update of sorts. Last night I picked up a different shirt option. The lady at the store wasn't impressed with my idea, but I like monochromatic palettes for outfits at times....I grabbed a grey dress shirt. It has a decent fit, but takes away the contrast that the white shirt was providing. I found the white shirt a little too "maitre d'" feeling. I also pulled the trigger on a pair of Dr Marten Chelsea boots. https://www.drmartens.com/ca/en_ca/p/21456001 I'm not sure I will go with them, I ordered them online, so we'll see how they fit...if they fit...

As for the sporran, I may find myself making another sporran. I made my current one, and it's held up OK. SportKilt has a vegan leather sporran, but the shipping to Canada is a little silly. The ones at vegetariansporransuk are nice, but a little too expensive for my use/budget. So I will give building one a shot again.

I will update again when the boots arrive, or when I build the sporran!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, i think you will look sharp!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's a ghillie brogue you want, there is indeed a vegan version: https://www.barr1highlandsupply.com/...e_brogues.html
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, boots are here, slowly trying to break these things in so I don't look like I'm limping around on the special night. Now to making a sporran!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it is worth I don't think boots will ever fit the bill for smart events and boots with rubber soles certainly won't. A well polished pair of black oxfords would do nicely.

Alright its a traditional Highland Scot speaking from the Highlands of Scotland, so you can do with my advice as you please, but........
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 13th August 19 at 01:31 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the fact you only want synthetic materials, but out of curiosity, may I ask why specifically?
    I don't eat land animals myself, so that part I can understand.

Is it because the animal was harvested/slaughtered? Would you wear leather that came from an animal that died of natural causes? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are the Ghillators (I think they're called) which are Ghillie-style shoes made of a foam rubber sort of stuff.

I don't think they're made any more, but I see them at every Highland Games on the feet of pipers and drummers.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast