X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Fredericksburg.

I do not know of any local (Texas) kilt makers. Steve of Freedom Kilts is unfortunately going to retire (good luck Steve from an USAF retiree!). Try any of the X Marks Partners at the top of the web page. I myself have been very satisfied with the work (and timeliness) of Rocky and his folks at USA Kilts. Follow the advise here and you shouldn't go wrong.

Good luck.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, the guy second from the right in our title photo is me.

Here is the full photo.

My kilt is made from our own X Marks Tartan in 16oz wool which is what all the kilts in the photo are made from. It is knife pleated to the Sett.

Here is another shot of the same kilt.

I'm the one on the far right with the bonnet.

These photos were taken during the party, the night that I official signed the papers and bought X Marks. Most of the guys in the photo were the staff at the time. If I am not mistaken I'm the only one still active from those early days.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 7th August 19 at 05:19 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My kiltmaker Kathy Lare is next door in New Mexico. Most pleased with her work, have purchased 15 kilts from her over the years.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spoke to this merchant at her booth during the Decatur festival early this year. She seems professional and very knowledgable of all things kilt. I can't speak to her work since I've never bought anything from her store in Dublin, Texas

https://www.thingsceltic.com/

Welcome to XMarks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome

hope you can find a local kilt maker

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron of Texas View Post
    I spoke to this merchant at her booth during the Decatur festival early this year. She seems professional and very knowledgable of all things kilt. I can't speak to her work since I've never bought anything from her store in Dublin, Texas

https://www.thingsceltic.com/
    I doubt this lady would be the person making the kilt... I'd probably steer clear and work with USA Kilts, Freedom Kilts, Barb Tewkesbury, Kathy Lare, Bonnie Heather Greene or someone/some company who's a known quantity.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things Celtic is the Scottish shop in Austin. I'm not sure if they make kilts themselves but they do sell them. They own the Lone Star Tartan (at least I think that is the name of it). They may be able to direct you to someone if you want to do local. As others have stated, there are a number of kilt makers as members of this forum.
    Also; Welcome from Waco!
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you may have luck finding "The Texas Bluebonnet Tartan" which is the official Texan Tartan.

"Designed by June Prescott McRoberts (1922-1999), proprietor of the 'Thistles & Bluebonnets' store in Salado, Texas. The tartan was adopted as the Sesquicentennial Tartan and was officially adopted as the Texas State Tartan on 25th May 1989."

Unfortunately, upon the death of Ms. McRoberts the ownership of this Tartan became a heated debate.
    "Scotland Forever" is a shop in DFW currently claiming to be the licensee, and while they closed their brick and mortar shop are still available on line.

The Lone Star Tartan can be considered a private or corporate Tartan as it is owned by, is restricted and exclusive to Lanora Davidson, the owner of Things Celtic in Austin.

And yes, I have a soft spot in my heart for Texas as I served with 6/6 Cav as an Apache pilot at Ft. Hood and my daughter is an alum of A&M, still living in Texas.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 8th August 19 at 04:07 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from the DFW area, be sure to keep a eye on the Highland Games and Celtic Event Discussion area for upcoming events as several of us will be at Kerr County and Salado this fall,
    Steve
    Clan Lamont USA
    SR VP & Central US VP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkilted View Post
    Things Celtic is the Scottish shop in Austin. I'm not sure if they make kilts themselves but they do sell them. They own the Lone Star Tartan (at least I think that is the name of it). They may be able to direct you to someone if you want to do local. As others have stated, there are a number of kilt makers as members of this forum.
    Also; Welcome from Waco!
    the proprietor of Things Celtic has since moved her shop to Dublin, TX

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast