X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ellioj01 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings and Question from Austin

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for having a place dedicate to kilts and the joy that they bring.

This brings me to a question I have and what brought me to join this community. Does anyone know of any kilt making establishments in the Austin, TX area? My sister is getting married in November and they have asked me to wear a kilt to which I replied yes before they could even finish asking the question. I have the colors that it needs to be near, but I'm having trouble finding someone that actually makes kilts.

I'm really leaning towards a kilt that is pleated like the one second from the right in the title bar picture with the guy kicking his right leg out. Actually, the color of the kilts in the picture are close to what I need to wear for the wedding.

If you could let me know and I look forward to discovering all that they online community has to offer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Western Canada 🇨🇦!
    The kilts are the XMarks tartan, and I believe the kilt you refer to is box pleated. I expect one of the other moderators or the forum owner will chime in.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Southern California.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from the other side of the Atlantic. I'm a Scotsman living in middle England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Florida.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to find a kilt maker near you is a issue for many of us. I would suggest following the link above to Mr. Ashton's Freedom Kilts, if the the kilts in the title bar strike your fancy. His company is the one with the Xmarksthescot tartan shown.
    However, ordering from any of the custom makers advertised here will get you proper instructions for measuring and a correctly sized kilt.
    Follow the measuring instructions the company gives you precisely, recheck your measurements with an assistant, and give more than enough lead time before the event.
    Be aware that it takes time to procure and shape the materials, so no instant gratification with custom kilts. I guess that is true of anything at the top tier of cool.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well met and welcome. I can't see the photos because they are locked on my machine. As others have taken care of the main question, I will add a hearty greeting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Cypress, Texas!

I'm afraid that I don't know of any reputable kiltmakers in Texas, let alone Austin.

There was a lady in the DFW area who did good work, but I learned recently that she's now moved to Florida.

I'd engage one of the site sponsors to make the kilt for you, and have a discussion and ask lots of questions before ordering.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be absolutely sure about taking measurement advice. Each kiltmaker has his/her own preferences in measurement points. Measure the way the kiltmaker you choose asks you to do - not anyone else's methods.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast