X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am somewhat of a knife collector and do not posses a sgian dubh. I will not wear something without a functional blade. I like the idea of a beer opener or a shoe horn but I have not needed one as of yet. I suppose I should just get a scabbard for one of my deer horn knives.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KMCMICHAEL View Post
    I am somewhat of a knife collector and do not posses a sgian dubh. I will not wear something without a functional blade.
    While I agree with the sentiment, there are plenty of sgian dubhs to be had with functional blades. You can search my username and the word “sgian” to see a few of mine.

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post

I find it interesting looking at the pictures of kilt wearers on this website, almost to a man you look so wooden. Just like those posed Victorian/Edwardian pictures of old that OCR delights in showing us.
    But that's the thing, Jock: in many of those Victorian photos the men look so relaxed, so at home in their outfits.

As relaxed as they can be in the days of slow shutter speeds where you were required to hold still for a minute or more.

It's remarkable they can look as relaxed as the do.

Last edited by OC Richard; 12th August 19 at 05:21 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a beauty...

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I think that the "average Scotsman" has never owned a kilt and is more than likely to have never worn one. Therefore owning an SD is an unlikely event.

Anyway, my one and only do-it-all SD and with an exceedingly sharp edge and is a tool rather than a weapon. It belonged to an Uncle who served with the Black Watch.

Attachment 37241
    Jock,

That is a beautiful knife. A real work of functional art. I am sure it is a treasured item and full of memories.

Larry
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to lschwartz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lschwartz View Post
    Jock,

That is a beautiful knife. A real work of functional art. I am sure it is a treasured item and full of memories.

Larry
    Well I am not sure that I think quite like that. Its more like it is a useful knife for minor jobs and it is I suppose, an example of "functional art" and thank you Uncle and yes, I do have occasional fond memories of him ---------just as I have for my other Uncles, Aunts, Mother, Father and Grand parents, but its rarely something I dwell on and I remember them mainly for who they were, not for what they owned.

I don't want to make too much of all this, but I have various pieces, some quite old, still in regular use, that go back much further than them and yes they are appreciated for all sorts of reasons on rare occasion. I am not at all unusual in this as I suppose European history can be traced back in some families------and not necessarily particularly grand ones at that-------for several centuries. Its no big deal, it just illustrates the ebb and flow of some parts of family history and its just that some were just luckier and perhaps more prudent than others.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really have a need for a knife in my sock as I have blades all over my shop.

But one of my favorite things I will stick in my sock (Especially when travelling) is a Sgain Shoe.

To me it is what would most useful. I don't wear a Sgain 99% of the time as I don't feel it is needed and certainly not required by some rule.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one on the left I wore as a youngster, the one in the centre during my twenties, and the one on the right I wear now. The latter is made of a cow's rib bone, brass and file steel and sees almost daily use. I think the one on the left was a great-uncle's before me.

Last edited by ThistleDown; 21st August 19 at 01:18 PM.

13. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    The one on the left I wore as a youngster, the one in the centre during my twenties, and the one on the right I wear now. The latter is made of a cow's rib bone, brass and file steel and sees almost daily use. I think the one on the left was a great-uncle's before me.

Thank-you for sharing. They are all very nice. Who ever made the bone handled SD did a wonderful job; it's pretty and appears to be very functional (read tough).
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post

ThistleDown

The more i look at your photo the more curious i become. Are you able to date the sgian dubh you had as a youngster. Also, do you recall who, where or when your present knife was made?

Thanks much

Jacques
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jacques, I can't tell you much more about the one on the left, except that it bears an engraved 'swan swimming' on its blade and is mounted with a cairngorm (certified). The silver sheath tip is missing and that was prior to it being given to me. If anyone can tell me more about the swan I would be very grateful. It was a gift from my father seventy or so years ago, and I was told it was his uncle's. That's all I can recall about it, but I wore it until I was perhaps fifteen or sixteen, when it was replaced by a throw-away (that I didn't, and still have). The centre one was also a gift and I wore it through most of the sixties, seventies and eighties.

The one on the right is my design and crafting. It was made as a proto-type, based on one my friend James Scarlett wore. His was an old blade fitted to a ewe rib he found at Milton-of-Moy and polished. He wore it without a sheath and it was a simple, crude, usable knife.

The one here is from a selected stirk rib. The brass was carved into the bone and the whole polished as you see it. The sheath is leather, hide-glued to a wood core, interior carved to conform to the blade, and then fitted with brass. The blade is old file steel and full-shank through the drilled bone. In this case, the blade has not been polished. The idea was for the knife to be in keeping with crofting life and use, but to upgrade it somewhat for 20C use. It is a fully usable tool: this one has been used for everything from paring hooves to cutting twine, from gralloching to filleting.

This 'prototype' eventually became three presentation pieces: three are in Scotland, one in Australia, and one in Canada. Plus this one, of course. There is another, scrimshawed with a stalking cat, that I understand, is set aside for the future.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 30th August 19 at 07:38 PM.

17. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12