X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sheffield Stag Horn Crown Sgian Dubh

Considering the purchase of a Stag Horn Crown Sgian Dubh made by Sheffield, a UK based company.

https://www.warriorsandwonders.com/S...Leather_Sheath

Does any one have any experience, reviews or comments for this or any other Sheffield products?

Thanks much

Jacques
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheffield is one of the renowned names of steel, so if it's a real blade (as opposed to a bit of steel attached for the sake of appearances, it should be a good knife, and I would be surprised if Sheffield made something less than quality, but you never know. At that price, it should certainly be high quality.

I have a 40 y.o. Sheffield hunting knife that I cherish, and its quality has remained good.

The style of course, is less formal and appropriate to daywear or informal occasions.

I have something much less quality than I assume this is, and somewhat similar in appearance, and I enjoy wearing it from time to time.

Good luck with it!
    Last edited by Father Bill; 1st August 19 at 08:52 AM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were I you, I'd consider something like this instead:

https://www.scotiametalwork.com/page17.html

I can't speak to the quality of the blade you've shown, but Mike McRae makes some serious blades.

He made this dirk for me back in 2015:

I'm not knocking what you're considering, but given the option of a high-quality, craftsman-made piece or a mass produced piece, I'll go with the craftsman every time, especially if the price-point is in the same ballpark.

Cheers,

SM
    Last edited by ShaunMaxwell; 1st August 19 at 04:01 PM.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would buy one of McRae's sgians over the British one, which I think is a bit overpriced. I just like the look of the McRae knife versus the Sheffield. Do they even show what is on the pommel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulled the pin

Thanks all for your advice and recommendations. Scotia Metal works does indeed have some pretty knives on their web site. But i'm not big on patience so i ordered the Sheffield. Will be delivered monday. Also like the look of the blade on the Sheffield. Called Steven at Blades Canada (Warriors and Wonders) and he described the silver looking blob on the end as some leaf looking engraving or molding with a blank centre suitable for engraving, probably nickel plated. Half tang with a brass pin should be strong enough for a 3.75 inch blade.

Thanks much
    Last edited by Jacques; 1st August 19 at 06:10 PM.
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jacques For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually agree with just about everything said above. Sheffield steel was the world standard for many a year; their knives excellent. I think you'll have
    good service from such a tool in any appropriate usage. Fingernails, packages, rabbits, fish, etc. I hope your enjoyment matches my expectations of the quality.

On the other hand, Mike brings Scotia blades to Stone Mountain every year. Hands on examination and much conversation with him leads me to
    recommend his wares without reservation. Should you decide at some future point to get a custom blade, he will make you proud.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post: