X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Balmoral

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Ummm, just a few things for you chaps to consider before putting your balmoral to the knife. Remember, that a balmoral is not a beret. Is the super shrunk, shaved and internally "doctored" military look appropriate for civilian attire? In my humble opinion, it isn't and whilst I fully understand those from a military background are used to that "look", its not a look that many traditional kilt wearers strive for. Tailored? Absolutely. Severe "doctoring"? Not really the look that most THCD kilt wearers want, I respectfully suggest.

Just saying.
    I absolutely agree, sir. That is what has held me back from cutting out the lining thus far. I don't want it to be a limp pancake on my head, and I think the lining helps give it a little more structure around the crown. The only real complaint I have about the lining is on the low side, where the material folds back up. It just seems bulky there. My other thought was to just reduce the lining on that side so it doesn't necessarily follow the same interior contour as the felted wool exterior.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmacleod View Post
    I had been kicking around the idea of getting a Balmoral bonnet but since I had no idea how much is wear one, I hesitated to pull the trigger. Then the local highland wear company had a sale and I picked up a Mackie Balmoral for $25.

After that, it was off to Jock's thread and the process began. When I was in the Canadian Forces, I remember when the air side first got our berets. Many just pulled them on like a sock but some of us were fortunate enough to have former Army types around to explain the process of forming a beret. While somewhat different, this certainly took me back.

First, a good soaking:

Attachment 37245

I then wrung it out, hung it out (out of the sun) and let it mostly dry. Put it on and decided it needed a second soaking. Again, wrung out and then started the shaping process; moving fabric forward and to the right. Let it dry on my head and while it was better, I was still not happy with the shape. Soaked it again, repeated the process and am pretty happy with where things ended up:

Attachment 37246

Shane
    Now wear it everyday and in all weathers for 5 years and it will be just fine for the next 30!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Now wear it everyday and in all weathers for 5 years and it will be just fine for the next 30!
    Thanks Jock! Your thread was very useful and I appreciate the time you took to share your knowledge.

As soon as I started I realized why you wanted less fabric in the top - I could certainly do with one that is more the size of yours!

Shane
    Last edited by gsmacleod; 15th August 19 at 03:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I believe that's what I'm going to end up doing with my Mackie Balmoral. I've "jocked" it several times and although it has a nice shape to it, it still feels a bit bulky on the 'floppy' side. I find myself not wanting to wear it (and instead wearing other Balmorals that I have). At this point, with nothing left to lose, I may just cut out the lining.
    I had to cut out the lining on mine, I recommend you only cut out the floppy side first however. I had to stick a piece back in the very top because it looked too close to my head. Also the bare wool is scratchy if you're follicly challenged.
    Last edited by tokareva; 15th August 19 at 09:59 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmacleod View Post
    Thanks Jock! Your thread was very useful and I appreciate the time you took to share your knowledge.

As soon as I started I realized why you wanted less fabric in the top - I could certainly do with one that is more the size of yours!

Shane
    Gosh, I cant remember how long ago that thread was going! I only started it as a bit of light hearted fun, but as things did in those days the thread went on and on aaand on! What a shame the "photo bucket debacle" robbed so many threads, not just mine, of so many useful pictures. Anyway I am glad its been of some use.

Yes, I do think that a smaller crown does help the overall look and ease of achieving it. I wonder if Mackie still will make smaller crowns if asked?

There lots of ways to wear ones bonnet and each of us have our own way of achieving the look that we require and my thread was just one of many ways of describing a method to achieve that end. It perhaps may be a tad more fun and less effort than all that shaving, drastic shrinking and surgery that some other methods have. I feel that I have to say this though, I really do think that as we are dressed in civilian attire we really ought to avoid too much of a military look.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 15th August 19 at 11:29 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12