X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Balmoral

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Balmoral

I had been kicking around the idea of getting a Balmoral bonnet but since I had no idea how much is wear one, I hesitated to pull the trigger. Then the local highland wear company had a sale and I picked up a Mackie Balmoral for $25.

After that, it was off to Jock's thread and the process began. When I was in the Canadian Forces, I remember when the air side first got our berets. Many just pulled them on like a sock but some of us were fortunate enough to have former Army types around to explain the process of forming a beret. While somewhat different, this certainly took me back.

First, a good soaking:

IMG_20190726_190902.jpg

I then wrung it out, hung it out (out of the sun) and let it mostly dry. Put it on and decided it needed a second soaking. Again, wrung out and then started the shaping process; moving fabric forward and to the right. Let it dry on my head and while it was better, I was still not happy with the shape. Soaked it again, repeated the process and am pretty happy with where things ended up:

IMG_20190810_134628.jpg

Shane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great, is that sale still going on?

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Me cousin Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta Love a Mackie Bonnet

Received my 1st Mackie a few weeks before the seasonal triple-digit heat arrived. Needless to say, it remains on my shelf until sweater weather returns to the Mohave Desert. I liked how it fit right out of the mailing box and will soon be ordering another Mackie with in brown and diced band to wear with my army leather A-2 jacket. I personally seen no need to soak, shave, and otherwise break-in a Mackie for my own use. My Mackie will likely be daily wear when the cooler weather arrives. I don't plan on restricting it to kilt wearing.
    Last edited by Braw Cathairneach; 12th August 19 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Quote size eclipsed the comment
    Semper Paratus

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Braw Cathairneach For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, $25 for a new Mackie Balmoral is a very good deal! Nice job on the "jocking" as well.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Me cousin Jack View Post
    Looks great, is that sale still going on?
    I'm not sure; it is L & M Highland Outfitters if you wanted to check with them.

Shane

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Wow, $25 for a new Mackie Balmoral is a very good deal! Nice job on the "jocking" as well.
    I almost picked up a navy one with dicing; still not sure how much is wear it so figured one would do.

Shane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmacleod View Post
    I had been kicking around the idea of getting a Balmoral bonnet but since I had no idea how much is wear one, I hesitated to pull the trigger. Then the local highland wear company had a sale and I picked up a Mackie Balmoral for $25.

After that, it was off to Jock's thread and the process began. When I was in the Canadian Forces, I remember when the air side first got our berets. Many just pulled them on like a sock but some of us were fortunate enough to have former Army types around to explain the process of forming a beret. While somewhat different, this certainly took me back.

First, a good soaking:

IMG_20190726_190902.jpg

I then wrung it out, hung it out (out of the sun) and let it mostly dry. Put it on and decided it needed a second soaking. Again, wrung out and then started the shaping process; moving fabric forward and to the right. Let it dry on my head and while it was better, I was still not happy with the shape. Soaked it again, repeated the process and am pretty happy with where things ended up:

IMG_20190810_134628.jpg

Shane
    Looking good Shane. Of course, removing the lining is also an 'old sweat' trick if the crown shape is still not right for you.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    Looking good Shane. Of course, removing the lining is also an 'old sweat' trick if the crown shape is still not right for you.
    I believe that's what I'm going to end up doing with my Mackie Balmoral. I've "jocked" it several times and although it has a nice shape to it, it still feels a bit bulky on the 'floppy' side. I find myself not wanting to wear it (and instead wearing other Balmorals that I have). At this point, with nothing left to lose, I may just cut out the lining.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    That was always the first order of business with a new beret but I wasn't sure with the Balmoral so I left it in for now.

Thanks for the info!

Shane

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm, just a few things for you chaps to consider before putting your balmoral to the knife. Remember, that a balmoral is not a beret. Is the super shrunk, shaved and internally "doctored" military look appropriate for civilian attire? In my humble opinion, it isn't and whilst I fully understand those from a military background are used to that "look", its not a look that many traditional kilt wearers strive for. Tailored? Absolutely. Severe "doctoring"? Not really the look that most THCD kilt wearers want, I respectfully suggest.

Just saying.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 15th August 19 at 10:00 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast