X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And so the jonesing begins...

Hey all. Ordered a USAKilts Casual Kilt in Irish Heritage... am so excited to have my first (of many, hopefully...) kilt on the way! Will post pics when it arrives!

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to NeighborhoodKiltGuy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Rabble!
    Be prepared to wait for a custom made kilt. They are still recovering from their recent rebuilding of their shop, so figure on 2-3 months. Any earlier will be a happy surprise.
    Try not to naw through walls while you wait. I couldn't!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    Welcome to the Rabble!
    Be prepared to wait for a custom made kilt. They are still recovering from their recent rebuilding of their shop, so figure on 2-3 months. Any earlier will be a happy surprise.
    Try not to naw through walls while you wait. I couldn't!
    Oof... I did pay extra for a 2-week rush fee, hopefully that at least still happens... for only $25, was a no-brainer! Lol

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like this?

https://www.usakilts.com/kis-ih-casual-kilt.html

Congrats!

I really like that tartan. Many of the "Ireland" tartans are a bit gaudy for me, because they have yellow, white, and green in fairly equal portions. Your Irish Heritage there feels subdued and elegant to me.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 13th August 19 at 03:52 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jonesing

If it's any consolation, (and it probably isn't,) I can tell you as a proud owner of two USA Kilts kilts, it will be worth the wait.

Cheers,

David
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard, yes that's the one! The elegance is why I chose it, has an understated beauty, imo.

And Sawyer, thanks for that! I'm aware of them being a quality product, and I can't wait to wear mine! Everyone in my family doesn't understand it, and seems to think I'll routinely be beaten up and/or insulted by people... but I'm an optimist, lol. Ain't gonna waste my time caring what others think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...They are still recovering from their recent rebuilding of their shop, so figure on 2-3 months. ...
    I ordered a USA Kilts Custom Kilt about 5 weeks ago and got it in a month, approximately. I don't have a precise date since I ordered it by phone and there's no email trail. They had told me 10 weeks, without expedited shipping. So the wait may not be too bad.

Enjoy the kilt! Get just that one for now, you may find you wear it differently than as measured and may need to adjust the measurements if you get another. I did.

I got my most recent one in Murray of Atholl. I'm an Irish Murray, but the person on the phone at USA Kilts told me the Scottish Murrays (and Kennedys) are OK with their Irish cousins using the clan tartan. I was going to get it regardless of that dispensation, but was happy to learn about it.

I have two kilts from USA Kilts now, both in PV, and am very happy with them. The other is in Ireland's National. That was my first kilt which I got just 14 months ago. I waited until I was 70 years old to start with kilts - never too late to be yourself!

One kilt leads to another... I've found a couple of kilts in wool on ebay. This can work if the seller seems to understand how they are measured, you may have to send questions to determine that. One I'd call "tourist quality", it's a light wool, I had a seamstress add reinforcement to the waist, in Royal Stewart #2.

The other ebay buy is all hand made and a traditional high rise fit, heavy wool, in MacBeath (sp? MacBeth?). I have no connection to that clan but it sure is a pretty tartan and that's all that mattered to me. It does have some moth holes but they aren't many nor large. It is hemmed. I'm not so fond of the high rise since I am short-waisted, nor the hem, so I think I'll post it for sale in this forum for what I paid for it, which wasn't much.

Tommy Murray
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oilverland View Post
    I ordered a USA Kilts Custom Kilt about 5 weeks ago and got it in a month, approximately. I don't have a precise date since I ordered it by phone and there's no email trail. They had told me 10 weeks, without expedited shipping. So the wait may not be too bad.
    I
    Tommy- I ordered my custom 8 yard from Rocky in March, and was quoted 6-10 weeks. It it took over 17 weeks to finally arrive. It is a nicely made kilt, but it took WAAAAAY longer than I thought or wanted. That's why I added a warning about the possible wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tommy- I ordered my custom 8 yard from Rocky in March, and was quoted 6-10 weeks. It it took over 17 weeks to finally arrive. It is a nicely made kilt, but it took WAAAAAY longer than I thought or wanted. That's why I added a warning about the possible wait.
    Yah, maybe it's taking longer for the wool kilts. Mine was PV. Or maybe by July they were catching up. Just don't want people to be discouraged, I like working with USA Kilts. The PV kilts are a heck of a deal for a custom fit, USA made product, and well made to boot.
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wool kilts

Quote Originally Posted by Oilverland View Post
    Yah, maybe it's taking longer for the wool kilts. Mine was PV. Or maybe by July they were catching up. Just don't want people to be discouraged, I like working with USA Kilts. The PV kilts are a heck of a deal for a custom fit, USA made product, and well made to boot.
    I purchased both of my kilts from USA Kilts last summer. I ordered my MacLaren weathered first but was told upfront that it would take longer than normal because the mill was not running those colors at that time. I ordered my Edinburgh District kilt afterward and received it in the expected time frame. They post pictures of their tartan deliveries on their Facebook page so you can tell, (somewhat,) when they receive the material. Once they had received the MacLaren weathered tartan, my kilt was ready in four weeks and ahead of the original date promised. The long and short of it being that you can't sew kilts without the fabric.

Cheers,
    David
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast