X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Shoe advice? Any help would be appreciated!

Hello to all. Have not acquired my first kilt yet, but I'm trying to build an outfit that will work well for daywear at my college and about the town. I've got a plain black sporran, sporran strap, and kilt belt (all black, yes), and am planning to wear polos most of the time (black or white, maybe gray as well, nothing overly busy or flashy) with regular calf-high socks until i get actual good hose. The main quandary I've run into is: what shoes would complement the kilt best, as a day-in-day-out option? My initial thoughts were semi-brogues, since they are what many of you wear for daywear. My only complaint with those is that I am not sure about the leather sole, as I wouldn't want to slip when walking on carpet or wet surfaces. I've also looked at hiking boots, or Dr Martens, but those strike me as a bit too... bulky, I guess? I have also considered just getting black sneakers, but haven't thought too much about that.

The reason I got black for my sporran, belt, etc is because I figured it would have more versatility than brown, and it would match my tartan (Irish Heritage) better. If you guys have any advice, or want to correct things, etc, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one guys personal opinion -

I dislike the ubiquitous Ghillie Brogues. To me the tongue in shoes is to protect the top of the foot from the laces digging in.

So I wear normal Brogues. What in N. America are called "Wing tips". I prefer the wider, rounder toe found in the older style.

And now a bit of trivia -
    If the bottom of the laces are closed as in the photo above the shoe is called an Oxford style.

If the bottom of the laces are open it is called a Blucher style.

You do not have to have smooth leather soles. Many shoe makers offer a rubber insert on a leather sole. I know that Allen Edmonds, my shoe maker, does.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 13th August 19 at 03:30 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Just one guys personal opinion -

I dislike the ubiquitous Ghillie Brogues. To me the tongue in shoes is to protect the top of the foot from the laces digging in.

So I wear normal Brogues. What in N. America are called "Wing tips". I prefer the wider, rounder toe found in the older style.

And now a bit of trivia -
    If the bottom of the laces are closed as in the photo above the shoe is called an Oxford style.

If the bottom of the laces are open it is called a Blucher style.

You do not have to have smooth leather soles. Many shoe makers offer a rubber insert on a leather sole. I know that Allen Edmonds, my shoe maker, does.
    Allen Edmonds has numerous sales throughout the year and 2nds are at times available. Their rubber soles are referred to as danite(sp?) they also make a boot like this if one is in bad weather.

I am unable to post pictures but they have a website. These shoes will last a long time.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KMCMICHAEL For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post

And there are many that come with a full rubber sole, like these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rubb...w=1920&bih=952
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 13th August 19 at 04:28 PM.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think for the level of formality you're shooting for, you have lots of choice in footwear. I wear suede shoes a lot for casual wear, as well as ones that look the ones Steve posted. Just one piece of advice on the hose - I don't think calf length looks very good, especially when you've got everything else covered and you're going to have a nice casual look. I would get a pair of kilt hose, even inexpensive ones, rather wear regular socks.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Macman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are Dainite soles. Pleas read my prior post regarding Allen Edmonds.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KMCMICHAEL For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brogues like what Steve posted are my preferred option, I don't have the money for that at the moment, so I may look at cheaper options nearby. Would never wear Ghillie Brogues, personally. I notice that Dr Martens are popular with some of you, would those or black sneakers work with what I've managed to put together so far?

Thanks a lot guys!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A793E484-D7A6-4D7A-97AA-CC1154D7B39C.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	37252

These are the Allen Edmonds boots that I use. I am afraid I wore black footwear in uniform for 30 years and have an aversion.

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to KMCMICHAEL For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeighborhoodKiltGuy View Post
    Brogues like what Steve posted are my preferred option, I don't have the money for that at the moment, so I may look at cheaper options nearby. Would never wear Ghillie Brogues, personally. I notice that Dr Martens are popular with some of you, would those or black sneakers work with what I've managed to put together so far?

Thanks a lot guys!!!
    You can find used dress shoes on eBay for a good price. Older Johnston and Murphey’s with leather soles are a good bet and often a good price. Just search for “used wingtips size (your shoe size)”
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the start of the school year just around the corner, I dug out my work shoes for a polish.

Almost all of the shoes I wear to work, with saxon dress, have some broguing and I wouldn't hesitate to wear most of these with a kilt. I do also wear the black oxfords with more formal dress as they are my old uniform shoes but for just wearing my kilt, I tend to grab a pair of the brogues and call it a day.

I think there are only three pairs here with leather soles and the others are rubber.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190814_073246_2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	37253

My wife thinks I might have a bit of a shoe problem however there are shoes here that are over twenty years old (the black oxfords are the oldest) and it turns out that having several pairs of shoes means they tend to last for quite a while.

Shane
    Last edited by gsmacleod; 14th August 19 at 03:48 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast