X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colquhoun in Old Wilsons colours - my project is finally happening!

This is a project I have been thinking about for a long time, and I went back and forth on what I wanted to do with it. I talked about my ideas in this thread last November:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...houghts-94779/

I bounced back and forth between going with a Modern Colquhoun in dark colours, or Old Wilsons colours, in order to make a military box pleat kilt in a civilian tartan. After discussing the idea with quite a few kiltmakers and weavers, I wasn't having much luck finding anyone willing (or able) to weave the tartan I wanted, or with the precise details I wanted. But Robin Elliot at Andrew Elliot Ltd. was the hero who has made it happen.

My custom Colquhoun weave on the loom at Andrew Elliot Ltd.

This is double-width 16oz cloth, with a custom thread count for a larger-than-usual sett size. I specified the thread count and adjusted the proportions a bit for the purpose of making the red stripe stand out in the pleats of a military box pleat kilt. They custom-dyed the yarns to achieve the Old Wilsons hues. Both selvedges have a double herringbone edge, and it's a true kilting selvedge, not a tuck selvedge. And the cloth will be minimally finished (just scoured but not pressed) in order to keep the final tartan a bit loftier than usual.

From this run of tartan, I'll have an 8-yard kilt made, as well as a waistcoat (with tartan on the bias). And I'll make another day plaid like the one I wrote the tutorial about. Possibly some other projects with leftover material too.

These are the photos of my cloth, from their FB page.