X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan color coordination ideas - help appreciated!

Hey guys. Just a simple question: my tartan is Irish Heritage (green and black squares, white stripes), and I'm having trouble thinking of what hose/flashes to get to color-coordinate and match to it. Just feel limited due to the color scheme. Overall look will be a smart-casual type. Polos, dress shoes, etc.

As an aside, I do have plain white cotton socks, and quite a varieties of black sock... work, Nike, etc... would any of those be acceptable with a smarter-casual look, if wearing black dress shoes? My guess is an emphatic 'no', but I do value you fellas' opinions, so I figured I'd venture forth the question anyways.

Thanks!!!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just something you ought to know, traditional kilt wearers bother little about this idea of matching or co-ordinating of colours and if colours match, its more by accident than design. I would suggest you get proper length hose as soon as you can if you want to dress to best effect. As to hose colour suggestions well, how about, any colour you like as long as its not white. Red/burgundy, yellow, brown and various shades of green would be worth thinking about for a start. I find that a pair of moderately dark blue flashes works well with all those hose colour suggestions.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 17th August 19 at 01:58 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I suggest a golden colored hose (the hue of Irish whiskey) and Kelly green flashes. Be prepared to dance when asked.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definitely get some real kilt hose, but you have a wide choice of colors. You will find that pretty much any color available in kilt socks will work surprisingly well with nearly any tartan.

Pretty much any polo shirt in a solid color will look fine with your kilt. You'll need to look at patterned polos on a case-by-case basis, since there is such a variety there.

Don't forget to wear a sporran.

Andrew

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all, thanks so much!! Seems like I was overthinking things a bit lol

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeighborhoodKiltGuy View Post
    my tartan is Irish Heritage and I'm having trouble thinking of what hose/flashes to color-coordinate and match...
    This topic comes up often, and to address it I have to put my Artist cap on (I'm a professional artist).

The first thing it to consider the meanings of the words coordinate and match.

People will use them as synonyms but actually their meanings are in opposition.

Match means putting colours as identical to each other together.

Coordinate means juxtaposing different colours so that they create colour-harmonies.

It's like having all the members of a musical ensemble play the identical note simultaneously, as opposed to having them play the various member-notes of a chord simultaneously.

Here is matching. It is, to me, uninteresting in the extreme.

To create a nice look in a Saxon suit you would coordinate the colours of the shirt and tie, not match.

Highland Dress is the same; here's a matching Highland outfit

The other extreme is having several colours clashing horribly

Between these extremes is the happy middle ground.

Note with the centre gent that the colours of his kilt (blue, green, and black) are NOT repeated in his hose, jacket, hat, or tie.

Yet the outfit as a whole works somehow. How can this be? It's coordination.

With apologies for using myself as an example, note that the footwear colours (blue and claret) and the tie colours (blue and yellow) do not appear in the tartan (green, black, brown, purple, pale grey)

Likewise here the hose-colour (claret) does not appear in the tartan

And for myself, if wearing a predominately green kilt, that colour probably wouldn't make an appearance in whatever outfit I put together.

IMHO the Irish pipe band St Lawrence O Toole does a fantastic job at putting together an outfit based around a green kilt.

The colour green appears nowhere else in the outfit.

Their hose and waistcoats are grey. A brilliant touch are the claret bag-covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FAMrXCbnZ4

My favourite Highland outfit of all time is this gent, c1870. The kilt-colours (green, blue, and black) are not repeated in his jacket (brown) or his hose (red and yellow) yet somehow the outfit comes together beautifully.

And it's always been that way in the army; since the raising of The Black Watch in the early 18th century that tartan (green, blue, black) has usually been worn with red & white hose, and red jackets

Last edited by OC Richard; 18th August 19 at 07:53 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: