X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Belts are for Utilikilts and the like.
    And I'd even argue that they aren't necessary for a Utilikilt if it's sized properly. They have snap closures, and should fit round the waist just like a pair of jeans (no internal cinching mechanism or adjustment). The only reason I wear a belt with my Utilikilt is because it has all those pockets and loops and clips, so I hang a lot of weight from it.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    And I'd even argue that they aren't necessary for a Utilikilt if it's sized properly. They have snap closures, and should fit round the waist just like a pair of jeans (no internal cinching mechanism or adjustment). The only reason I wear a belt with my Utilikilt is because it has all those pockets and loops and clips, so I hang a lot of weight from it.
    Good point. In my own fashion sense, a Utilikilt without a belt looks like it's missing something. Whereas a traditional kilt looks fine either way -- in my eyes anyway.

Best,
    Jonathan

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years of healing practice and counseling has taught me that everyone is right - from their personal perspective. As a result, I mostly live and let live.
    From my personally "correct" point of view, I've never seen a kilt worn without either waistcoat or belt that looked complete. To my eye. Rather like
    an untucked shirt. I think, " Did they forget to check the mirror before leaving the house?". When I have realized I forgot my belt, I have felt a bit
    unfinished, as when I have realized I have no pocket knife in my sporran (or pocket).

Unexplainably (), I have found there are those who have a different perspective. Keeps my days interesting and enjoyable.

Required, no. helpful; or pleasing? To many, yes.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 12th September 19 at 07:05 AM.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveScott View Post
    I have one kilt that is not as snug a fit as I would like. A belt helps to gain the degree of fit necessary while I ponder on an adjustment of strap movement...
    I will say that in over 40 years of kiltwearing I've never used a belt to hold up an ill-fitting kilt.

Over the years my weight has gone up and down, and whenever needed I move the buckle.

My kilts don't have the superlative 3rd buckle so it's only a matter of moving one buckle, the one on the wearer's right. It takes around 10 minutes.

The buckle on the wearer's left stays adjacent to its slot and isn't moved. If needed, which for me has been rare, the strap is moved towards the centre of the inner apron to reduce the waist size, or a longer strap is used to increase the waist size.

My kilts always fit me, whatever my waist size at a given time. I very rarely wear a belt.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123