X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying an Experiment

I've just about had it with pleats. Hindsight is 20/20 but if I'd known the kilt would arrive with unpressed pleats, I would not have purchased it. At any rate.

The first time I had it pressed, it worked fairly well. I basted (mostly correctly). Didn't measure. Ended up with some odd ones but nothing major. After wearing it all summer in the heat and humidity, the pleats ended up curling and rolling and losing their sharp edges, I think mostly because I didn't measure and had some the wrong width, etc.

This time I measured and pinned and it's all perfect! Was going to baste and take it to be pressed again. But I ran out of time in the evenings to baste and I need it for the WI highland games this weekend. So I took it to the cleaners with the pins still in. I asked the cleaners to baste and press.

This time I spoke with someone who seemed to know what they were talking about. She said, "why baste?" I said, "pins leave dimples when pressing." She said, "professional cold-sole spot iron and a blast of hot steam on each pin dimple after pressing." I said, "Cool! Go for it!" At this point, I really don't have much to lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have fun this weekend. Let us know how the spot steaming worked and if you liked the results of the pressing.
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to lschwartz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experiment Success

The experiment was a success! The kilt looks as good as if I had basted it prior to pressing! I think, however, that basting is still preferable; but if one hasn't time to baste (kilt needed to be pressed on a deadline), pinning with follow-up spot pressing is a good second choice.