X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baggy Hips Temporary Fix

I'm working on getting a local alterations and tailoring shop to take about 3/4" out of the hips on my five-yard wool kilt as I discovered that I probably measured wrong when ordering as the hips are a bit baggy and I get some shower-curtaining. I know that this is the permanent fix. Is there a temporary fix I can do in the mean time to reduce the shower curtain effect? Thanks!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it be possible for you to show us a photo from the rear so we can determine if the kilt is the wrong size or perhaps just being worn wrong.

One of the most common causes for the shower curtain folds may not be an incorrect size but a kilt that is designed to be worn right up, under the ribs, that is being worn lower.

For example - This kilt is the correct size, it is just being worn in a way other than how it was designed to be worn.
    The bottom of the sewn down and tapered part is called the Fell Area and the bottom of the Fell Area should be right at the widest part of the hips and buttocks.

(Notice please that this kilt, when worn like this, has popped some stitches. When sitting the Fell Area goes under the butt and the stitching has failed due to the stress)
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Would it be possible for you to show us a photo from the rear so we can determine if the kilt is the wrong size or perhaps just being worn wrong.
    I will get photos and also verify that the bottom of the fell is right at the sacral crest (where the kilt was designed to be worn).