X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any experience with eBay -Jacket- purchases?

I've been pondering the purchase of an argyll off of eBay from one of the 100000 Pakistani vendors cluttering the postings. It's pretty clear some are posting pilfered images while others are brave enough to show the finished garments (which, in turn, have that Pakistani "not quite right" doll's wardrobe look to them). I've been at this long enough to know what I'm getting into, but I also know that their doublets and some of their other kit are frequently not-bad to pretty good, so I don't mind taking a risk at $100 or so.

Curious if anyone has had any luck with getting a halfway decent jacket - not a kilt and not purchased through a reseller in the US or UK. Looking for first hand accounts of jackets purchased from Sailkot. Any feedback would be appreciated! I will of course share my experience if I go through with it.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Piobair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not certain I’d go that route... I’ve purchased six kilt jackets over the course of several years, five of which came with waistcoats, on eBay on average for about $100. Unless you’re hard to fit, you might be better off keeping an eye out for a Scottish-made vintage or ex-hire jacket on eBay. I’m afraid that you’re less likely to get value for your money from a Pakistani jacket. I’ll be curious to see how this turns out!

Good luck!

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a well meaning family member buy me a Pakistani tweed jacket and waistcoat from eBay last year. I'm pretty consistently a 42L but based on my measurements and their sizing chart, a 44R was suggested.

When it arrived, the duties and fees were approximately 1/3 of the overall cost including shipping. The jacket and waistcoat were nowhere close to fitting despite being labeled as 44R. When I measured, it was about a 48L while the waistcoat was about a 46.

After a prolonged back and forth with the seller, they agreed to send another jacket and waistcoat that would be guaranteed to fit. When this one arrived, again having to pay duties and fees, the jacket was closer, about a 46R while the waistcoat was closer to a 38 while both were still labeled 44.

The material wasn't bad for the cost but the build was pretty rough. Lapels were not the same size or shape, buttons were mismatched (imitation antler for most but plain black closure), sleeves were extremely large in diameter and the gauntlet cuffs were pretty poor.

I have purchased some vintage tweed attire from eBay and have found much greater value there. Obviously it takes longer to find what you're looking for but I suspect you'll be much happier with the end result.

Shane
    Last edited by gsmacleod; 4th September 19 at 01:40 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While not an Argyle, I did once purchase a Prince Charlie jacket and vest off ebay. I spent $100, and it was ok. I never wore it for the intended event, and ultimately I bought one from a store in Williamsburg, VA. The store jacket and vest were like $500, and are worth ever dollar of the difference. Even though both were 46L, the fit was night and day. The fabric and finish were equally night and day. I think its near impossible to try on one jacket and remember the fit and finish of it when an hour or days later you try on another. I was very fortunate that I had the ability to try them both on, one right after another, and go back and forth and really see and feel the difference.

That may not really answer your question, but thats my .02¢

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MikeC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I’m not certain I’d go that route... I’ve purchased six kilt jackets over the course of several years, five of which came with waistcoats, on eBay on average for about $100. Unless you’re hard to fit, you might be better off keeping an eye out for a Scottish-made vintage or ex-hire jacket on eBay. I’m afraid that you’re less likely to get value for your money from a Pakistani jacket. I’ll be curious to see how this turns out!

Good luck!

SM
    I agree with Shaun. A few months back. I bought a nice vintage-ish tweed jacket off Ebay. Cost, £55 less freight. At today's exchange $67.10, & about $20 in shipping. I find out Friday what a bit of altering/tailoring will be.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Baeau For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a jacket and vest off ebay from Pakistan. The jacket was horribly sized, I think I could have fit my legs in the sleeves. The vest was ok, except the tightening straps across the back. They sewed both sides with the adjusting buckles, slid together. I had to cut them apart to be able to tighten the thing.

It was cheap, it got me by for a couple of events before I really knew better, and I would not do it again.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Wareyin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a PC and waistcoat from Pakistan off eBay last year when I was new to kilting. I've worn it and from a distance it looks okay. But that's the best I can say about it. The fit isn't great and the material is very cheap. Up close it's easy to tell that it's not the Real Deal. I'm on the lookout for a legit PC and waistcoat now but it's not a priority since I only have one or two events per year that require black tie + kilt.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow - great responses!

I have a bespoke tweed waistcoat/crail from Margaret Morrison and an off the rack from Geoffrey Tailor, so I'm not really in any rush. I thought they'd be sort-of okay based on my experience with Pakistani doublets and tunics, but apparently not. As with their garbage pipes, I guess as long as people keep buying them they won't feel the need to produce something better.

Might find other a better way to burn $100. Probably by burning it.

16. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Piobair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll echo others' responses -- I have purchased two used (and one very vintage) kilt jackets off of eBay and have been very pleased. The cost have been minimal compared to the product received. My success is in part from following advice on this forum and measuring myself and asking the seller to measure the jacket for accuracy. Win win!

Best,
    Jonathan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the suggestions about buying used "real" kit - totally agree and I have plenty of experience buying and selling ex-hire and used.

Just curious about the Pakistani versions... I have a feeling that the only way to ever get something decent from Sialkot is to have an intermediary vendor sorting through the junk in order to find something passable (which appears to be the case for some legit businesses). Even then, it's probably always going to be a little off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast